My descent into Vintage!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Evening all, I just wanted to show you a project I'm working on.
I found an e-bay deal that I decided to pull the trigger on. I ended up with the set you see in the first picture.

I think the reg should be no problem to rebuild. I have been talking to Herman already and I am getting ready to place an order for tools and parts.

The tanks are something else. I hope the gamble pays off.
The manifold is a White Stag dual manifold with 1/2" straight pipe threads.
I think the tanks are 50's +/- cubic foot.
Manufacture date is 4/63 and the last hydro was in 87.
There was no rust on the outside and after stripping the paint the tanks look great. I'll drop them for hydro this week, have them tumbled, and hopefully filled and ready to go soon.

Anyway, I thought you's like to see someones project.
If you all have any info on the tanks i'd love to hear it.
They are Norris tanks at 2250 psi. not sure of the actual specs.

I'll try and keep this updated.
Have a good day.

Attachments

• 20190815_122917.jpg
    20190815_122917.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 20190921_131243 (3).jpg
    20190921_131243 (3).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 406
  • 20190921_152042 (1).jpg
    20190921_152042 (1).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 412
Cool! So with 1/2" straight thread I assume they take the same o-ring as a 1/2" Sportsways?

Evening Scuba Lawyer, I believe they do. I have a Sportsways here but it's full now.

I was wondering...

I saw XS Scuba, I believe, made a 1/2" tapered valve. I wonder how many of us they would require to make a run of 1/2" straight thread valves????

I have found the old 1/2" straight valves and tanks for better prices than the 3/4" just because of the odd ball thread size. 72's are great beach tanks!!! I love my 2 that I got. I just wish I had the REE #'s for them to get stamped +.

I saw XS Scuba, I believe, made a 1/2" tapered valve. I wonder how many of us they would require to make a run of 1/2" straight thread valves????

To f'n many. :)

I have found the old 1/2" straight valves and tanks for better prices than the 3/4" just because of the odd ball thread size. 72's are great beach tanks!!! I love my 2 that I got. I just wish I had the REE #'s for them to get stamped +.

Probably not recommended, but the tank jockys at my local dive shop regularly pump mine to 2600

I got one back at 3400+.

I made them drain it before I took it home. I like them just under 3k.:wink:

Yeah 25yrs ago they were pumping my 72s fitted with later model 3/4 yoke valves to 3364.88psi

full.jpg

Now they think these paint stripped 3364.88psi Faber 100cf are 72s

I'm trying to figure out why they did a run of tapered valves. Most dive shops freak out when they see valve threads and Teflon tape. I know I did 26 years ago

This is the whole set I'm working on getting functional again. The regulator was missing in my first pics. The tanks are at hydro now. Wish them luck:fear:

Attachments

• 20190815_112619.jpg
    20190815_112619.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 317
This is the whole set I'm working on getting functional again. The regulator was missing in my first pics. The tanks are at hydro now. Wish them luck:fear:

Good luck!

P.S. Your reg is upside down. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom