My DIY neck seal replacement project!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My drysuit neck seal, was finally getting to the point where no amount of Aquaseal could keep it alive any longer so I decided I would try replacing it myself instead of having the shop do it.

Dave at Ocean State Scuba was very helpful in telling me what I needed to know to do it, however, he didn't have any seals in stock so I went up to Giant Stride a relatively new shop in Warwick (by relatively new I mean it was the Scuba Depot, changed owners and became Epicenter Dive Shop, then changed owners again and now it is Giant Stride Dive Shop). The guy at the shop was incredibly helpful, to the point where he pulled out the forms he had made to mate the suit and seal smoothly to show me how to make my own. They had all the required stuff for me to do it in stock so I was ready to go home and make a huge mess with all sorts of glues and solvents!

By the way, let me just say, Giant Stride has the best laid out retail floor I have ever seen in a New England Dive Shop. The new owner, Red, has really taken that place up a few notches from its previous incarnations. He has a huge selection of gear in stock. For example, he has tanks of just about every size imaginable in stock, Worthington X7 80, X7 100, X7 120, X8 119, X8 130, good old AL80s, AL 63s, Pony and stage bottles from 19 all the way up 45 and for most of them he had more than one in stock. He had tech gear like manifolds and tank bands. He sells full backplate and wing systems and has pretty much every wing Dive Rite makes. Prices looked reasonable too. If you need something, he'll probably have it.

Anyway, back to my DIY project. I was successful, but it was a pain in the butt! Now that I have done it, I have to say that I'll probably just pay the shop to do it for me next time! :D

Step 1 is taking the old seal off. I was able to peel it free fairly easily. Dave suggested using a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue although he warned me you have to be careful not to get too hot or you can damage the suit. Luckily as it turned I was able to do it without heat so I didn't have to worry about that danger.

Step 2, prepping the surface. This is a HUGE pain, and is where most of the time is spent. Basically you have to remove all of the old glue from the suit and clean the surface. I accomplished this with a combination of sandpaper as well as some aggressive scrubbing with a Cotol 240 soaked cloth. Get the big can of Cotol you'll need quite a bit of this stuff, and it is nasty so I'd recommend gloves and some real good ventilation. The guy at Giant Stride also suggested using a dremel with a sanding disk, because the heat from the sanding disk causes the old glue to melt and come off in little balls. Sadly I didn't have a dremel so I had to do it by hand. You also want rough up the inside of the neck seal with sand paper and then clean it with Cotol.

The next part is more tricky. Mating the surfaces and gluing. There are a bunch of different ways I have been told to do this. The way I did it, which both Dave at OSS and the guy at Giant Stride suggested, was to make a circular disk that fits under the opening in the suit to keep it flat and even. Then you make another disk with a donut like hole in the middle for the seal itself. The donut ring sits on the part of the seal to be glued and mated to the suit. This lets you keep the two surfaces straight when you line them up and press them together to glue them. I used double sided tape to keep the suit and the seal stuck to the forms. Do a bunch of dry runs to make sure you get everything lined up properly before you do it with the glue for real because after that there is no turning back.

I'll admit, I made a bit of a mess during the gluing. You apply the contact cement to the surface, then press the two surfaces together using the forms described above. Of course, when you press them together the excess cement squirts out the edges, and I was a bit liberal in my use of contact cement, so now I had all these blobs of blobs glue oozing out all over the place.

I tried to clean the excess blobs off with a paper towel, but ended up smearing it around more than cleaning it off so really I just made a bigger mess. However, I did succeed in gluing the two parts together. After the cement dried Ihad to go back and clean up the mess from the excess.

Finally last step was to aquaseal around the inside of the seal where it joins to the edge of the suit to make doubly sure it doesn't ever leak. Project complete! All told I think it took me about 4 hours not counting the drying time.

Oh and one last piece of advice if you try this. Trim the neck seal before you glue it on. It is a lot easier than doing it after. Plus if you screw up at least you can just get a new seal without having to glue the whole thing again! :D

I hear ya. Cuffs - PValve are OK but neck seals goes to the shop next time.
The inside seem strip wrinkled on me and I used dinner plates and full of water trash bin to put pressure on the seal overnight. What a PIA

Did I tell you I had everything to do it? sorry, you sounded so excited that did not want to spoil it!

It is great you finally got that out of the way....I still do not understand why you need a new neck seal every year....anyway you are still a good fella!

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf

It is great you finally got that out of the way....I still do not understand why you need a new neck seal every year....

That's okay, I don't understand how if I last replaced the seal in 2005 that qualifies as "every year"..... so I guess we are even. :D

I hear ya. Cuffs - PValve are OK but neck seals goes to the shop next time.
The inside seem strip wrinkled on me and I used dinner plates and full of water trash bin to put pressure on the seal overnight. What a PIA

Yeah, plus it actually didn't save me all that much money by the time I bought everything I needed to do it.

Anyway, back to my DIY project. I was successful, but it was a pain in the butt! Now that I have done it, I have to say that I'll probably just pay the shop to do it for me next time! :D

It was good to hear how you did it. Good job! It'll be easier next time. I felt the same way when I did my first neck seal.

Step 1 is taking the old seal off. I was able to peel it free fairly easily. Dave suggested using a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue although he warned me you have to be careful not to get too hot or you can damage the suit. Luckily as it turned I was able to do it without heat so I didn't have to worry about that danger.

It only takes a little heat to loosen the old glue, but, as you found out, the old latex seal can generally be peeled off pretty easily without heat.

Step 2, prepping the surface. This is a HUGE pain, and is where most of the time is spent. Basically you have to remove all of the old glue from the suit and clean the surface. I accomplished this with a combination of sandpaper as well as some aggressive scrubbing with a Cotol 240 soaked cloth. Get the big can of Cotol you'll need quite a bit of this stuff, and it is nasty so I'd recommend gloves and some real good ventilation.

I like to grind most of it off, but some people just grind down the old glue enough to get rid of major rough spots. Some leave the old latex on and apply the new seal right over it.

Cotol (toluene) wasn't necessary when I removed the old glue from my trilaminate. I had heard that excess Cotol on a trilaminate suit material can cause delamination, so I was glad grinding was all it needed.

The guy at Giant Stride also suggested using a dremel with a sanding disk, because the heat from the sanding disk causes the old glue to melt and come off in little balls. Sadly I didn't have a dremel so I had to do it by hand. You also want rough up the inside of the neck seal with sand paper and then clean it with Cotol.

You could also buy a cheap set of sanding drums for your electric drill. Here's a more elaborate set, but there are cheaper versions at discount stores.

Amazon.com: Delta 17-940 25-Piece Sanding Drum Kit: Home Improvement

I've used the sanding drums for larger areas, but a Dremel with a flexible shaft provides good control.

Hand-sanding? I can understand why you don't think you'll do your own neck seal again! :)

The next part is more tricky. Mating the surfaces and gluing. There are a bunch of different ways I have been told to do this. The way I did it, which both Dave at OSS and the guy at Giant Stride suggested, was to make a circular disk that fits under the opening in the suit to keep it flat and even. Then you make another disk with a donut like hole in the middle for the seal itself. The donut ring sits on the part of the seal to be glued and mated to the suit. This lets you keep the two surfaces straight when you line them up and press them together to glue them. I used double sided tape to keep the suit and the seal stuck to the forms. Do a bunch of dry runs to make sure you get everything lined up properly before you do it with the glue for real because after that there is no turning back.

Good advice to use template discs to line up the suit and seal mating surfaces. I used double-sided craft tape, too. Worked well.

I also found that the plastic from 1-gallon Zip-loc or similar sturdy bags makes an excellent temporary protector to keep the glued surfaces apart until ready for mating. I cut the plastic into 1-inch strips or appropriately-sized curved sections and pressed them onto the tacky, partially dried contact glue on the suit. After carefully positioning the neck seal and template to line up the glued mating surfaces, the strips of plastic can be peeled back a little at a time to allow the surfaces to mate.

I'll admit, I made a bit of a mess during the gluing. You apply the contact cement to the surface, then press the two surfaces together using the forms described above. Of course, when you press them together the excess cement squirts out the edges, and I was a bit liberal in my use of contact cement, so now I had all these blobs of blobs glue oozing out all over the place.

I don't quite understand why the glue would still ooze out, as the contact cement should be allowed to dry for about 10 minutes to the point of only being tacky. I used two or three thin coats with about 10 minutes drying time between applications.

Did you use a different kind of contact cement?

I tried to clean the excess blobs off with a paper towel, but ended up smearing it around more than cleaning it off so really I just made a bigger mess. However, I did succeed in gluing the two parts together. After the cement dried Ihad to go back and clean up the mess from the excess.

Finally last step was to aquaseal around the inside of the seal where it joins to the edge of the suit to make doubly sure it doesn't ever leak. Project complete! All told I think it took me about 4 hours not counting the drying time.

An excellent first attempt, all in all! I probably took just as long, being pretty fussy and careful. And I didn't spend time on hand-sanding! :D

Oh and one last piece of advice if you try this. Trim the neck seal before you glue it on. It is a lot easier than doing it after. Plus if you screw up at least you can just get a new seal without having to glue the whole thing again! :D

Good point! I hadn't thought of that! :)

Dave C

I don't quite understand why the glue would still ooze out, as the contact cement should be allowed to dry for about 10 minutes to the point of only being tacky. I used two or three thin coats with about 10 minutes drying time between applications.

Might have something to do with the fact that I forgot that 10 minute part..... I blame the fumes....:D

My original was a bellow style and what was hard was the cone style was hard to get nice compression for or line up over a cone.

Had it been a bellows style, I would have been able to do it over my small plastic trash can just as I did the wrist seals over 3" PVC Pipe Coupling.

Also I got a medium size and it fit comftably withiut cutting but tends to burp air now. I really should have gotten a small or let the LDS do it. I used so much glue to get it on as I had to peel it off due to a wrinkle, the glue is going to be a bear to remove next time.

Time for a new suit soon as the zipper is freyed and the seal is getting thinner.

Back
Top Bottom