My drysuit dilemma...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Four years ago, I bought my first drysuit: a made to measure DUI CLX450. Somewhere during the process, a mistake was made and in some areas the suit is smaller than it should be. If the water is warm enough for thin underwear, I’m in luck, but if I need thick underwear and layers getting the suit on is difficult at best and just not happening at worst. I commented on the fit initially (like first dive day with it) but was told by people who I assumed knew better than me that the fit looked great. Over the years, getting in and out of my suit has at times provoked panic attacks, stress (like when it won’t come off and you really need to use the bathroom) and now missed dives. I’m done.

Several months ago, I had some emails going back and forth with someone at DUI but nothing came out of it, and with what has happened with the company in the last year, I have doubts about getting the suit “fixed”. Now my question is what to do... do I try to get a better credit out of them than their Trade in/trade up program offers? Do I try to sell it to somebody who will probably need to immediately change the socks on it (I have big feet) and buy something else? Do I try my luck with a new DUI (ignoring that it doesn’t fit, I love the suit) or go with another brand my shop sells?

Decisions, decisions... all suggestions appreciated.

Keep your current warmer water drysuit.
Get another colder water drysuit. Find a different way of sourcing it.

Four years ago, I bought my first drysuit: a made to measure DUI CLX450. Somewhere during the process, a mistake was made and in some areas the suit is smaller than it should be.

Why didn't you complain about it then? I am certain that it would have been resolved satisfactorily if it happened when it should have happened.

what has happened with the company in the last year

What has happened with DUI that would effect your issue here?

I have doubts about getting the suit “fixed”.

We are talking about a four year old issue that you are bring up now, correct? Seriously? Am I missing something here?

Now my question is what to do... do I try to get a better credit out of them than their Trade in/trade up program offers? Do I try to sell it to somebody who will probably need to immediately change the socks on it (I have big feet) and buy something else? Do I try my luck with a new DUI (ignoring that it doesn’t fit, I love the suit) or go with another brand my shop sells?

I'd keep it to use when water temperature require the light underwear and order a suit from DUI with an appropriate sizing for colder water. Make certain that you get measure correctly this time and that the suit is made properly for you. I would also make sure that I put heavy pressure on them to get a substantial discount for this suit.

Question for you, when you wore the lighter underwear and the suit fit you OK, how did you like the suit? Was it too stiff or too heavy at all?

Yeah, I hear you. The guys who measured me were passionate cave divers, and the result is a suit that is right on the fringe to being able to get in/out without help. I knew no better then, and I'm not sinking money into a replacement as I have seen how "lower in quality" the new suits are from the same manufacturer (I put a whole bunch into rehab/updates).....

Sucks.....

I'd say to either sell and replace (something else), or get another for what you need...

again, sucks....

Last edited:
DUI makes nice suits but you can get a whole new custom made suit for 1/4 the price from Seaskin.

When I was fitted for a custom suit once I was measured wearing jeans and a shirt. The suit was too tight. I wore my bunny suit (drysuit underwear) the next time I ordered a suit..

I have seen how "lower in quality" the new suits are from the same manufacturer

How, where did you see this? I know a lot of people using DUI suits, tech/cold water divers, and all seem to be happy. The greater majority, if not all, of the complaints I see here on SB. I am curious about where this comes from here. I am wondering if it is just a "group psychology" thing.

@BurhanMuntasser : I own a suit from right around 2000. It, and the accessories, are no comparison in regard to materials in the construction when compared to new. I have new accessories, and they fail in comparison. I have looked at new suits, and the material is not the same. No, not a "group thing" for me. I'll likely spend my money elsewhere should I need to replace it....

YMMV.

Last edited:
What undergarments are you using? Would a kwark navy or thermal fusion be thinner enough and warm enough to make the suit work?

There are amazing modern insulation products, using significantly less bulk..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom