My Experience with Club Med, Columbus Isle, Bahamas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having been to both (and a few other C-M's), I'd like to assure the couples going that the Col. isle is nothing like T-C.

It is designed for couples primarily. It focuses on diving and tennis, although there's more to do there. They do base their meal plan on a weekly vacation, and if you stay longer you can expect to see repeats. But since they also have a la carte restaurants, you can mix it up a bit more than you'd at first think.

I really liked the subdued atmosphere there, having gone right after returning from a combat tour the last thing I wanted was more excitement in my life. If you want excitement, try the T-C resort. Designed for the single scene, it is very fun. I had a friend that worked at the club for a year, and still had lots of fun after all of that time.

Anyway, that's my two psi on the Club Med experience.

One thing I did not like about diving with CM in T&C is the boats go out from their own dock in Grace bay. Which means if seas are rough they do not go out when other op's go from the marinas. Last time there a few years ago we lost a couple of days diving until we realized other ops were going out and we hooked up with Dive Provo. The other thing is the other op's will go to better sites like west caicos and french cay. Downside - long boat rides. I don't recall the rooms at T&C, but at Columbus Isle there is a dramatic diff between the basic rooms and the upgraded. Basic rooms are the old clubmed style bunkers, upgraded are very nice.

Columbus Isle is quieter than Turquoise and San Salvador is much less developed than Provo, so each has its attractions depending on what you like.

Agree. I just got back from CM T&C about 2 weeks ago. Will write an in-depth review at some point, but I agree with 99.9% of what's been said here.

Jill, sorry I never answered your question...

I shoot with a Canon G9, in a Canon housing, and also have a Sea & Sea YS-27 strobe. I'm still playing with lots of settings, to determine the best shots. I even recently tried shooting on Shutter priority to see how that would work.

I was sad when they destroyed San Salvador's aquifer several years ago. Drained it for the swimming pool, from what I understand. Too much fresh water out resulted in saltwater intrusion.

Sounds like you had a good time and thanks for posting the pix's!

We have been to Riding Rock 3 times and for those not wanting the Club Med experience, perhaps those wanting a more dedicated diving experience, its a decent option - (much) less crowded boats, seemed like more experienced divers, but that could have been when we visited. Club Med seemed to have a ton of divers on their boat.

Its a nice, safe, very quiet island; aside from the bar at Riding Rock, and what is available at Club Med, there is really no "night life" to speak of - sure, some locals bars/res't but South Beach its not! Something to consider if you visit w/ a non diving spouse/friend/partner.

Riding Rock Inn is next door to Club Med on San Salvador, Bahamas. They are a diver-oriented, family run in. Not cheap, but cheaper than CLub Med and very professional. Of course they dive the same sites. 3 dives per day. Great diving. I wouldn't go to San Sal in winter for two reasons. 1) in Jan-Feb, water is 75. 3mm is...chilly. 2) Bigger...they get wind in winter, can blow up the seas, harm the viz, and give you a chill.

My wife and I did our first diving (Club course) at T&C, then did our first post-cert diving at Columbus Isle. IMHO, the statements made by others above are pretty much accurate--more action at T&C; quieter and more French spoken at Columbus Isle. I liked the diving better at Columbus Isle.

The dive boats are big and hold a lot of divers, but as was mentioned above, most are broken into small groups (6 or fewer), each with an instructor. Buddy divers get a separate dive briefing and go on their own. We were at T&C last winter with many more dives under our belts since last there. We made sure we were first off the boat (all buddy divers were allowed that opportunity) and last back on board, allowing every diving to be a full hour (including safety stop).

The Memaid and i certified at Columbus Isle in 1998. We saw hammerhead sharks while doing our qualifying open water dives. I suppose that is how we got hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom