My First Cave Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepchick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been asked by several people to give a "report" on how my first cavern/cave experience went. So.......here goes.

When I began diving the one thing I said I would never do was go into a cave, too dangerous so I thought. I went downt to Florida to take my AOW class and happened upon an instructor who also was into cave diving. At the time I was confident that I didn't really want to do anything involving caves, but the others I was diving with convinced me that taking a cavern class would be good for my wreck diving skills, I signed up.

The first day of class came and we met Nick Leone who was going to be our instructor. We sat in our little trailer at Jackson Blue and ate girl scout cookies and went through the workbook. I was thinking "how hard can this possibly be", little did I know. We finished the workbook and Nick told us to be up bright and early the next day and be prepared for a full day. That night we configured our gear, this was the beginning of my problems. At the time I did not have anything other than my recreational gear, a Diva BC which is an XS in size. But, the guys I was with helped me attach everything the best we could to meet the criteria that Nick had asked us to meet. The next day we did line drills outside in the yard and really learned a lot. We were ready to get in the water. Everyone I was with was diving doubles and technical gear. I was diving a single tank with an H valve and using a set of borrowed older regulators. There was not one piece of gear I was using that I was familiar with. My first big mistake. We spent lots of hours in the water that day, most of them outside the cavern working on the same line drills we did outside of the water. We spent time laying on our belly's on picnic tables learning to frog kick, get back in the water, do it again, if it's not improved, back out to the picnic table. I will say that Nick was a tougher instructor than I had expected, which was a good thing considering the seriousness of the cave environment. I struggled through this day with gear that wasn't right for the dives and decided that something needed to change for the next day if I was going to do this class right. At that point Nick offered to bring a BP/W setup for me the next day. I took him up on that offer even though I have never been diving with one before.

Day 2 of cavern class - Nick came and got me set up with the BP/W. The night before we had taken apart my Legend's and set them up on my tank so I had regs that were comfortable for me. As soon as I put on the new gear I could already tell this day would be much better for me. I immediately fell in love with the new setup as soon as I got into the water. The first dive we spent a lot of time in the cavern, taking turns with the primary reel and learning the environment of the cavern. I got caught too far away from my "buddies" and was asked to do an out of air drill. Following that drill, and after I got a good breath, I was able to see clearly why you stay closer to your buddies. We also worked on valve shut downs, things like that. It was a good dive, my only problem, the cavern was beautiful, but after swimming around it for a while, I found myself hovering around the sign and shining my light as far as I could see past it. When we got to the surface I asked what I needed to do to go past the sign. This was the point that I became hooked.

We finished our cavern class and everyone passed. At that point Nick asked if we wanted to go into the cave as he could take us as an instructor one level past our training. Of course we said yes. I was so excited about this, but nervous, especially when he told me I would lead the dive. We went into the cavern, tied off at the main line and started into the cave. It was amazing.

We made it back to 500 feet before we had to turn. I was sad because I could have done that all day if I had the opportunity, I wanted to go farther. We finished the dive and discussed how the dive went. I had a problem because I was the one who turned the dive being that I was diving a single tank, my problem was that I usually have an excellent sac rate .36, so I didn't bother to check my SPG very often thinking that I couldn't possibly have used much air. Not thinking that I was 93 feet deep or that I was kicking at a pretty good pace to get back there, I just didn't check it. When I turned the dive I was 400 PSI lower than I should have been to stay in my thirds. When we finished the dive, I was still within my thirds however. At this point Nick asked us how much air we had and we told him. I decided not to tell him that I broke thirds. I came back to the trailer and told the other guys I was with. One of them who is an experienced cave diver told me how bad that was that I had done that. I soon realized the seriousness of it and felt guilty for not telling Nick. The next day I decided to tell him.

Needless to say, Nick was not happy with me about this situation. We went for a walk and had a very long talk about the rules of cave diving, why they are there, why you NEVER break them and how serious this was. He did it in a very nice way as not to upset me, but made it clear that I had really done a bad thing. I got it. We went down to the shop and bought "Blueprint for Survival". I was told to read the book, write an essay on why these rules are so important, and email it to Nick when we got back home. I wrote my essay. I had a lot of time to think about my mistakes and what led me to make them. I got my card in the mail and am now IANTD cavern certified. I will be going down to FL in June to do Intro to Cave, with Nick. I also now have a Diverite backplate and rec wing and a set of doubles to take on the next trip. This was my first purchase when I got home. I learned so much in this class, more than I have learned in any class I have taken so far. It really makes you a better diver overall. It was one of the best experiences I've had since beginning diving and I can't wait to go back down and get back into the cave! In the meantime, you will find me in the quarry, working on my skills to make sure that Intro to Cave goes well! It's amazing how the one thing I said I would NEVER do as a diver, is the one thing I can hardly wait to go back and do!

WOW great report sounds like you had a blast:D

another nibble from the cave bug! a wonderful report, and i'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Congratulations on your success. Sounds like you learned a great deal more than a new set of skills. Good for you!

When we chose to move into the new frontier the hardest thing for us to learn is that the rule regarding rules is totally different. The rules under water are not like rules made by our governments, social leaders, religious leaders, or parents. Break them and the penalty is often swift and sever. In the technical world rules are concrete for one reason only. Mistakes are often fatal, and always life changing (even the smallest mistake, should you survive, will change the way you think and process things for life).
Welcome to the dark side where life is so much brighter.
Go slow, strive for perfection in everything you do every time you do it, then push forward. The reward is in seeing it and coming home to share the experience. The thrill is gone in a blink of an eye if there is a loss.
Congratulations again!

Congratulations and welcome to the overhead world!

Sounds like the bug bit you pretty good. :)

Have fun and always be safe.

Mark Vlahos

To the dark side. I find only a few women cave divers, but all of them are excellent! Shrive to be the best cave diver you can and all of your other dive skills will improve.

Way to go!

Practice a lot with the BP, wing, doubles set up and remember the rule of sixths (for doubles). June will be a blast.

Congrats on your class! Thanks for sharing! Sorry to hear you had Nick, but hopefully you won't be scared for life! j/k

...actually... I like the seriousness that Nick appeared to take with your admission and how he had you think about it.... probably a nice lesson to internalize.

Thanks again!

I was able to do 2 cavern dives while I was on vacation in Cancun. This was probably pretty risky, but they were technically my "First dives." I had done the 4 open water dives, but the group I was with had heard a lot about the caves and wanted to get at least a day of cave/cavern diving in before we left. We went and got the normal lecture on how to properly do a cavern/cave dive. I had to learn how to do the frog kick, but I caught on pretty quick. When we dove for a while it ws just awesome, but I got bored near the end of the dive. No offense to the cave divers, but looking at rocks over and over again just doesn't fit me. I am more a wreck diver.

Well, each of us hears a different siren song! I got my first taste of cave last week, and I'm so hooked I can't stop thinking about it.

Nick sounds like a super instructor. Caves are pretty unforgiving environments, and I think we all need to take them very seriously.

Good luck to the OP with her cave course!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom