My first DC2000 experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of pictures I took last week using the SL975 lens with the DC2000:

2018-07-20 #11.JPG

2018-07-15 #4.JPG

They look great! Maybe I’ll get mine out, last time I only took to 0.5x wide angle but to be honest the new push on adaptor for the lens I was so worried was going to come off. To me it doesn’t feel as Secure as SL975 feels. So I’ll give it a shot next time!

To add one more lens to the conversation: I recently purchased a new SL975 for my DC2000. SL975 is a 0.6X wide angle. It's not currently in production but they can still be purchased new. I picked mine up at my local dive shop but a quick google search found it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/SeaLife-Fish...?ie=UTF8&qid=1533169858&sr=8-1&keywords=sl975
The 0.6X SL975 is $279 compared to the 0.5X SL050 for $499.

Is this the same lens you use @Steve_C?

Yes, I use the SL975 so you are set on macro focus all the time. If I have an object, fish, that I cannot get closer to but would like a more detailed picture of, and it is not moving much I will take off the SL975 and shoot with the regular lens. But for my moving along I mostly use the SL975,

WinfieldNC, was this is in NC?

Judging from the school of fish and topography I would guess a drift dive. We have ledges but those look like more tropical snappers.

Those two pictures were taken during our trip to Oahu, HI this summer. I do have some good pics taken in NC with the DC2000 with the SL975 lens though. I'll post a couple later this evening.

Here are a few pictures taken at wrecks in NC with the DC2000, SL975 lens, and one Sea Dragon flash with the flex arm. The top picture is from the Normania, the middle picture is from the Hyde, and the bottom picture is from the John D. Gill. Hopefully I will still be able to dive in NC after Florence gets done with our coast.
2018-08-25 Normania #3.JPG
2018-06-16 Hyde #2.JPG
2018-08-21 Gill #1.JPG

just getting back into diving and decided to go with a Sealife 2000 "pro duo" setup (Nikon D750 and Sony a6500 above water - with too many lenses, filters & accessories).

Figured the Sealife would be a good 'intro' to U/W photography and help me learn about o-ring/case maintenance before subjecting a $5-$10k camera to the u/w world.

Anyway, results are 'ok' so far... need more practice which is part of the problem - not having warm water to dive in regularly (I think my cold water days are done). It certainly is a new experience with u/w photography - it's like learning things all over again! And white balance.. argh.. I feel like I should just switch to 'auto' for a bit!

erniejohnsonDOTca--0081.jpg

Santa brought me the DC2000 Pro Duo kit. Done a few dives with it, and results have been mixed. Have experimented with different lighting, while taking several pictures of the same subject. On the first couple of dives, the inner housing was completely dry when I open it after the dive. The last few dives I have had some moisture in the housing - enough that I have had to change the moisture muncher. Not sure what is happening, and I have e-mailed Sea Life with some questions. I am wondering if I am tightening the housing down too tight on the tray, causing the housing to flex a bit and compromise the seal. I also have a Sea Life DC500 and never had moisture inside it.

Here are a couple of the best photos so far - one is a small octopus, and the other is a decorated warbonnet in its den. If you can enlarge the warbonnet photo you can see some great detail !!

Divegoose

DSCI0156.JPG

DSCI0101.JPG

Attachments

• DSCI0156.JPG
    DSCI0156.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 263
i wrote a review on the dc2000 a couple months ago:

SeaLife DC2000 Review - from a very amateur photographer POV

after previously using a GoPro and with my wife currently using a GoPro , i can tell you that the dc2000 would be like having a porsche compared to a kia (GoPro). yes, it is more bulky, but for the quality of the photos, it is so worth it. if my wife was more into taking pictures, i'd buy her one too

Back
Top Bottom