My first go with the GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thanks to all the great suggestions here at Scubaboard, I decided to purchase a GOPRO along with the Snake River Prototype Blurfix and the URPRO CY filter. The results were stunning and a huge upgrade over the video feature of my Sealife DC1000.

Having become a regular land based diver in Cozumel, I did my first ever dive trip as a pod person on a cruise ship (Carnival Conquest) in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I couldn't get wait to get back home to view the results on my computer (well, maybe that was an exaggeration).

Oh I probably should write a few disclaimers such the flat light due to jumping into the water in the middle of a monsoon and my annoying flash from my still camera.

[video=vimeo;29833807]http://vimeo.com/29833807[/video]

Thanks to all the great suggestions here at Scubaboard, I decided to purchase a GOPRO along with the Snake River Prototype Blurfix and the URPRO CY filter. The results were stunning and a huge upgrade over the video feature of my Sealife DC1000.

Having become a regular land based diver in Cozumel, I did my first ever dive trip as a pod person on a cruise ship (Carnival Conquest) in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I couldn't get wait to get back home to view the results on my computer (well, maybe that was an exaggeration).

Oh I probably should write a few disclaimers such the flat light due to jumping into the water in the middle of a monsoon and my annoying flash from my still camera.

[video=vimeo;29833807]http://vimeo.com/29833807[/video]

Excellent job of keeping the go pro from shaking....and a very good video too !

Ok, I'm heading to Best Buy this weekend! I tried to get my other half to get one last weekend but he wouldn't budge. We're leaving in 2 weeks for Andros, Bahamas and we'll only be diving to about 40 ft. Do you recommend any those accessories? Did you have yours mounted and if so, how? Or did you just hold it?

Ok, I'm heading to Best Buy this weekend! I tried to get my other half to get one last weekend but he wouldn't budge. We're leaving in 2 weeks for Andros, Bahamas and we'll only be diving to about 40 ft. Do you recommend any those accessories? Did you have yours mounted and if so, how? Or did you just hold it?

As the gopro doesn't focus well underwater, you need the blurfix adapter which is not sold at BestBuy. They have to be ordered online so you might get one on the way as quickly as you can. Get Blurfix Adapter Here. It is also strongly recommended to add the CY filter if you want decent color.

P.S. Go with the 1080 HD model rather the 960. It's worth the price difference.

As the gopro doesn't focus well underwater, you need the blurfix adapter which is not sold at BestBuy. They have to be ordered online so you might get one on the way as quickly as you can. Get Blurfix Adapter Here. It is also strongly recommended to add the CY filter if you want decent color.

P.S. Go with the 1080 HD model rather the 960. It's worth the price difference.

I agree with the above. Snake River Protyping sent the adapter immediately so 2 weeks should be no problem. Just give yourself 24 hours to install the adapter and to allow the silicone to cure. Also a water pressure test is probably recommended (I did it in the bottom of an 8-foot pool).

Did you have yours mounted and if so, how? Or did you just hold it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I mounted mine to the bottom of my Sealife camera with Strobe and Video Light. I will post a picture and explanation later.

The GOPRO is so small that I don't think holding the camera by itself will result in shakey images.

Tex, I see for $45 more it comes with housing, so you would still have other housing. The ? is does it have good video out of water. Another / is did you get the firmware, as it say's for 3D, and on this site it tells me this GoPro HD Hero Firmware upgrade PAGE - EyeOfMine Multimedia

Just picked it up and did not know all this till this morning I asked on thread, just got out of water and started looking for mounts to speargun, roll bar mount is the one that will fit.

Also on link it has the housing for flat that will hold the lcd screen, but no filters, wonder if the blurfix filter could work.

Tex, I see for $45 more it comes with housing, so you would still have other housing. The ? is does it have good video out of water. Another / is did you get the firmware, as it say's for 3D, and on this site it tells me this GoPro HD Hero Firmware upgrade PAGE - EyeOfMine Multimedia

Just picked it up and did not know all this till this morning I asked on thread, just got out of water and started looking for mounts to speargun, roll bar mount is the one that will fit.

Also on link it has the housing for flat that will hold the lcd screen, but no filters, wonder if the blurfix filter could work.

Not sure if you had a questions, but Mako Spearguns sells a Go-Pro camera mount and also a flat lens (which is required for decent underwater video). Mine has worked to well past recreational limits..

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

Very nice video!!!!

Awesome video and great camera work shame about the pesky flash lol.

Anyone looking at a gopro for underwater should really look into the blurfix and ur pro filters as the others just don't come close to this setup and the videos speak for themselves.

Regarding the firmware its best to use the latest version even if you don't have a 3d housing, some of the older firmwares did have a few issues that have been fixed with the newer releases.

Back
Top Bottom