My first mk5 ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just bought a scuba pro regulator for 75 bucks from a Facebook scuba group. Guys grandpa was a serious diver (over 2000 dives) and left this reg set to his grandson, who doesn’t dive at all. I’m guessing this is a mk5 - 109? How can I tell if it’s a 156? and is there a way to tell when this particular set was made? It looks to be in really great shape, can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Anything else I should I do or check when I receive it? Hoping @buddhasummer can give me some help getting it back into the water. It’s certainly a beauty...

39482263-BFF7-42E7-847B-723DA244124E.jpeg
28587146-BD48-4C16-8422-5B8F17A0D03F.jpeg
3E3DFB18-718E-40FA-9F3D-DFD8045DF61A.jpeg

Easily upgraded to a 156 although with SP new 2020 pricing it'll cost more than twice (new parts) what it cost last year.

And now I’m unsure about the first stage, does it look like a mk5? After googling it seems like they’re many variations...

It's not a MK5, it's a MK9, for me the quite nicest SP 1st. Congrats! It's relatively rare, because it was sold only in the year '83. in '84 the MK10 came on the market with it's classical turret.
The 2nd is a 109, you can identify it by the particular adjustment knob.
If you want to check, if it has been already upgraded to a BA, take off the 2nd from the hose and look through the orifice onto the LP seat below.
If you see a hole in the LP seat, it's a BA (modified), if there is no hole in the LP seat, then it's the original configuration.....
Good luck with it.
Just in case you would prefer a 5 LP Port MK5 with DIN connector, I would be gladly swapping it with you for the MK9 ( I have already a couple of them, but I love their shape)....:)

It's not a MK5, it's a MK9, for me the quite nicest SP 1st. Congrats! It's relatively rare, because it was sold only in the year '83. in '84 the MK10 came on the market with it's classical turret.
If you want to check, if it has been already upgraded to a BA, take off the 2nd from the hose and look through the orifice onto the LP seat below.
If you see a hole in the LP seat, it's a BA (modified), if there is no hole in the LP seat, then it's the original configuration.....
Good luck with it.
Just in case you would prefer a 5 LP Port MK5 with DIN connector, I would be gladly swapping it with you for the MK9 ( I have already a couple of them, but I love their shape)....:)
Thanks for the feedback! Really cool that I got lucky! So a Mk9 is basically a Mk10 with a different LP port configuration? Does it have a 5th port on the bottom as well? I got it shipped to my parents house back in the States so I’ll have to wait a month to check it out!

Doesn't look anything like my first Mk 5. Mine was spun copper and weighed 55 pounds.

Good luck with it.

Oops, my mistake, sorry for the misinformation. Thanks.

Never seen a MK9, had a couple of MK5s. Assumed given it wasn't a MK10 and was paired with a 109 that it was a MK5. Assumptions and asses, I'll go and sit in the corner.

Doesn't look anything like my first Mk 5. Mine was spun copper and weighed 55 pounds.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Back
Top Bottom