My first scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I open the package, slowly but deliberately. It is well packaged. The attention-to-detail that went into the packing and presentation is incredible. Out comes the body, tail, spares kit, then the charger and instructions/DVD. Like a child out of a candy store tearing into his bag of treats, I tear through the owners envelope to get the DVD and watch it before I decide not to assemble or attempt to balance it just yet but instead schedule a scooter dive with some friends who will show me the ropes.

This is my first scooter. Months ago I had my first (and only) scooter dive on a Dive-Xtras Sierra at Ship Rock on a deco dive from 130'. I loved it! There's a certain liberation that comes with not having to kick and to be able to cover much more ground. Ship Rock suddenly became a very small dive site. I began to imagine how much smaller Dead Man's Reef would become from shore, also! No more fighting the current at Point Dume! This little thing was short, nimble, and FUN... F-U-N-N... FUNNNNNNN! I think I might have heard Farnsworth calling me once or twice while I was down there! I had to have one!

Everything comes in two's... what I get, my wife also gets another! I almost bought a used Sierra + extra body/battery then would have just added a tail. But my wife warned me that unlike my one-time-purchase non-DUI drysuit that I eventually replaced with a DUI one, the scooter was indeed one-time and there would be no "upgrade" in my future. So eventually I decided against the Sierra and that a mini-Cuda would be in my future (and hers). Since these things never come up used, new it must be.

As I wrote the check for the first scooter (still do not yet have the 2nd) my wife gives me "the look" as she claims #1 as her own.

I book the final 5 spots on a local dive boat I've never used before to a trip through the La Jolla kelp forests and the following day we arrive. While we wait to start boarding the captain coughs up some attitude about our 5 scooters and starts to become rude about it. The boat is full, I get it, maybe there would be space, maybe there wouldn't. Simply saying so would be enough, but rude, inconsiderate, piss-poor sh!t fit genuine jerk-off first class a$$h0le belligerence is just uncalled for. Sure I could have called and arranged it (or not) in advance but I didn't simply because I never had to before on any other dive boats nor did any of my com padres (when bringing doubles, stages, and deco bottles which take up more space than the scooters did)

So we packed up and headed towards La Jolla shores instead (I did get a full refund a few days later) and ditsied about in the shallows (20-30') for a while. Wow! What fun! And work (getting this thing through the surf). My wife absolutely loved the experience (she used a Sierra) and mentioned that it won't be long before I'm writing a check for my own scooter since this one will be HERS! The following day I head out on a boat at Dana Point with two friends and we all take our scooters for a solid trigger-happy hour in the kelp beds at the pinnacle. I swapped the mini-Cuda for a Sierra at one point under water and did not notice too much of a difference except the thrust on the Cuda is greater as-is the speed. I used a wet suit and slung my 80 stage bottle on my side rather than my back and I absolutely loved (LOVED) how it felt and the resulting profile in the water. I did this because I dived off a small inflatable and didn't want to deal with a tank on my back for entry into the boat.

A few thoughts:

-> The mini-Cuda is only 7 lbs heavier than the Sierra but walking from the parking lot through the surf and back, it really feels like 20 lbs.

-> My wife would likely favor the Sierra on land and surf but I can see her eventually downgrading me to the Sierra if we had one and the other.

-> I don't do much travel, and don't expect to travel with the scooters much (based on past behaviors) but the Sierra would definitely travel better.

-> It is a pain to keep the team when there's all Sierras and a Cuda.

-> I don't regret getting the Cuda for one moment at all

That said, I borrowed a Sierra for the next 3-4 weeks to let her evaluate whether she'll prefer it over the Cuda. It's her choice in the end! Well, she claimed this one already as her own, the next one is my choice what I want!

Last edited:
Love your very evocative description!

I could see a scooter for Deadman's Reef, too . . . I don't think I'd ever have the intestinal fortitude to do that surface swim again!

That's a nice video!

Last edited:
One of the things I like about diving to Deadman, and many shore dives, is the swim. I just take my time and use it as a workout to replace a trip to the gym or doing something else. If you're patient it's not a bad swim--just takes a little longer. And my favorite tank the HP80 is plenty for Deadman. The scooter sounds like fun, but it seems like riding an electric bike to me.

I can see the scooter would allow more time to explore the reef, but then you've got your hands tied holding the scooter, and to explore the life on the reef you need a slow pace, and I like to take pictures.

The other advantage I can see for the scooter is it would allow the swim out under water as well. Normally I swim out on the surface and swim in under water.

Hatul, a great way to use a scooter is to use it to get out to structure that's a long or unpleasant swim away, and then clip it off and kick the interesting portion of the dive. We have a number of shore dives here in Puget Sound where the surface swim would be Deadman-esque, and the underwater swim would be too long to allow any meaningful time on the site itself. But 8 to 10 minutes on the scooter, and there you are, and you can do an hour's dive and take lots of pictures, and then scoot home.

I am not a person who uses a scooter for every dive, nor do I like to "do" the dive with the scooter in most cases. But they can be handy, and they're awfully nice insurance against mistiming slack current :)

One of the things I like about diving to Deadman, and many shore dives, is the swim. I just take my time and use it as a workout to replace a trip to the gym or doing something else. If you're patient it's not a bad swim--just takes a little longer. And my favorite tank the HP80 is plenty for Deadman. The scooter sounds like fun, but it seems like riding an electric bike to me.

I can see the scooter would allow more time to explore the reef, but then you've got your hands tied holding the scooter, and to explore the life on the reef you need a slow pace, and I like to take pictures.

Nothing keeps you from clipping off the scoot and kicking as slow as you like to. It's easy, I do it on virtually every scooter dive. One of my fairly regular teammates scooters with a camera too, in addition to 2-3 extra bottles. It's a load, but it can be done.

Tobin

Nothing keeps you from clipping off the scoot and kicking as slow as you like to. It's easy, I do it on virtually every scooter dive. One of my fairly regular teammates scooters with a camera too, in addition to 2-3 extra bottles. It's a load, but it can be done.

Tobin

I'm sure it can be done... but wouldn't a clipped off scooter, a camera rig, and several bottles be quite cumbersome? I don't dive deco or use stage bottles, don't have that kind of training yet (someday I will, when I am through with school). I sometimes sling a pony if I am doing a deepish solo dives. I can't even imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to carefully pick over a tight area of reef with a clipped off scooter and a camera rig, let alone 3 extra bottles.

I'm sure it can be done... but wouldn't a clipped off scooter, a camera rig, and several bottles be quite cumbersome? I don't dive deco or use stage bottles, don't have that kind of training yet (someday I will, when I am through with school). I sometimes sling a pony if I am doing a deepish solo dives. I can't even imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to carefully pick over a tight area of reef with a clipped off scooter and a camera rig, let alone 3 extra bottles.

If your scooter is properly weighted, i.e. slightly positive and slightly tail light, then clipping off the nose to the right chest dring leaves it floating up under your right arm.

Bottles? Same deal. The right gear, properly set up and filled with the appropriate gases will tuck under your left arm. Camera's are wild card. A large camera rig takes some time to rig so it's as stream lined as possible, and not tangling.

Remember cave divers carry all this gear and more and they really don't want to silt the cave.

It's really easy to manage a correctly weighted scooter while kicking.

Tobin

I tend to be a prima donna about not wanting a bunch of annoying "stuff" attached to me on a fun dive. But I'm with Tobin -- a properly weighted scooter virtually disappears behind and to the side of you. I can maneuver very neatly that way. One of the most obsessive photographers I know, Mo2vation, quite literally will NOT do a dive without his scooter, anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom