My first speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DFA
stated :
"I've been using a Biller 48 special for well over 30 years and never "out grew "it. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
30 years - same gun ! and you never "out grew it,"
Impressive !
It is now show and tell time !

THE BOTTOM SCRATCHER SPEAR GUN

My all time favorite spear gun is a "Bottom Scratcher." It was designed/developed in 1939 by Wally Potts and perfected by the Bottom Scratcher spear fishing club of San Diego, California. It is the first rubber powered spear gun produced in the US and is the original California long gun, constructed of by the joining of a simple tube SS handle containing a one piece trigger to a 1&1/4 inch dowel barrel, and a long balance bar that was either made of wood or SS.

In the very early days of spear fishing around 1950 Wally sold a Bottom Scratcher gun to Paul Hoss a member of the Dolphins spear fishing club which had recently won the world's very first "International spear fishing meet" in Laguna Beach in the Summer of 1950. When he sold it to Paul who lived in a suburb of LA, called Compton, Jack Prodanovich is reported to have said to Wally that "Selling a gun up north was like selling guns to the Yankees." And he was correct. Paul disassembled the gun did some modifications that improved the trigger pull and began producing a very close copy affectionately became known as the "Hoss gun" or the "Hoss-Bottom Scratcher gun" by the "Yankees" of Los Angeles and Orange County. The Hoss copy was cosmetically and functionally identical in every respect except for the Sturgil muzzle which was the muzzle of choice for all guns used by serious Yankee spear fishermen. The guns which were made by Wally and Paul were all custom made therefore no two were exactly identical. It was reported substantially less than 50 were made in a 30 plus year period by Wally and some where between 20 and 30 by Paul in about a 10 year period. Needless to say they were difficult to obtain and are now scarce and highly prised by those who own them, or collectors of diving memorabilia.

Known through out the spear fishing fraternity as the "California long gun" and on occasion the "Long Tom," they were made for long shots at big fish in then the clear unpolluted waters of SoCal.

I was fortunate to have ended up with two. My own personal custom gun I purchased from Paul Hoss and a friend's who after being chased out of the water by a shark decided that spear fishing was not for him, so he sold it to me a half what a bare unrigged new one costs

My guns measure 7 foot 9 inches plus the point which can have many configurations and lengths adding as much as a foot if the Prodanovich point impact aka power head was used. It has a sling pull of 4 foot 8 inches and the 5/16 diameter SS arrow rides on the first rails to be installed on a spear gun. It has a balance bar that extends approximately 15 inches behind the trigger mechanism.

It was made during the era of the kettle cured rubber. I can't recall when surgical rubber for spear gun slings became popular but I think in the mid 1950s. The gun originally used three slings of 28 or less inches of kettle cured rubber , which I replaced with an equal amount of surgical tubing for power when it became popular and readily available. I do vividly recall the first time I test fired it at Ship Rock off Catalina using the then new surgical slings...the arabelete type slide ring exploded totally disintegrated ! The arrow went flying in to the blue water never to be seen again by man--or at least me...so I had a slide ring custom made from aerospace material. A number of years later Joe La Monica who developed the Voit/ Mares/JBL gun "copied" my slide ring and began producing a very strong SS slide ring which I modified and converted to use on some of my guns.

My first and my favorite gun has a custom (aka home made) "San Diego" style "dump pack" which I constructed from a piece of SS sheet, a SS Piano hinge, several lengths of WW 11 webbing and a SS rod as the release pin. The dump pack contained 200 feet of yellow 1/8 Polypropylene line fan folded into small bunches secured by two pieces of a bicycle inner tube (they won't rot) terminating with a small WW11 water purification bag modified into an automatic Co2 inflation float. It has a 15 inch SS balance bar

Gun number two is equipped with a huge six inch "Riffes Reel," produced and marketed about 40 years ago by a now defunct San Diego company by the name of Aquacraft. The reel holds about a jillione miles of hard lay tuna trolling nylon line. I can not recall how much it holds and I have never been reeled there fore cannot accurately state with any reasonable amount of certainty the amount of line on the Riffe's reel but it is a lot! It originally came equipped with a 15 inch balance bar, which the former owner trimmed to eight inches. I found this too short and extended it to it's original length of 15 inches by the addition of a piece of 1 &1/4 wood dowel.

Do I still use the guns? Heck no! They are just too rare and too valuable , since only less than ten are known to have survived the passage of time , and especially when a Bottom Scratcher/Hoss gun sold on E bay several years ago for $2500.00 plus dollars.

But-- I still have wonderful memories of the Bottom Scratcher and years gone by.
SDM
~~~~~~~~

Hombre
I will see if my dear wife will get out the baby brownie and snap a dozen shots...
She is. like me retired, - I am up at 5:00 Wife Betty sleeps to 8:00 and finally wakes up at 11:00 AM
Great day in Kalifornia - so far no shaking !
SAM

My all time favorite spear gun is a "Bottom Scratcher."

Were these guns much different than the ones made by Jack Prodanovich? I got to shoot one in the 1990s. A friend had two and waited for years to get them. It was very well made but can't compare with the accuracy of modern guns with a track.

Hombre
I will see if my dear wife will get out the baby brownie and snap a dozen shots...
She is. like me retired, - I am up at 5:00 Wife Betty sleeps to 8:00 and finally wakes up at 11:00 AM
Great day in Kalifornia - so far no shaking !
SAM

Sam, take a pic of your speargun wall in your dive locker (comprised of the entire bottom floor of your house :) ). That impressed the heck out of me. M

@The Chairman -- I obtained a sheet of red fleece for a background. I will be photographing and posting pictures of the Bottom Scratcher -- "Soon"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Akimbo
The Bottom Scratcher aka Potts (Wally Potts) or Hoss (Paul Hoss) guns predate Jack Prodonovic's guns. The Bottom Scratcher was first produced by Wally in 1939 and periodically updated and produced on a one of a kind custom basis by Wally or Paul to about late1950s
The basic difference is Paul's gun has a better trigger pull and uses the Sturgil closed muzzle
At the Fathers meet in 2000 we attempted to get a count on them--best estimate was between ten and 20 remain - one sold for $2500 about ten years ago

Jack's gun is a much shorter tube gun first produced and sold about 1960.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Scuba Lawyer
You only were privily to the storage area -- yes there are enough guns to equip several UDT units
We did not visit the dive locker where a number of valuable one of a kind guns are secured under lock and key.. Nor spend time in my office with 2 Bottom Scratchers and a number of other current custom guns
Maybe on your nest visit we can talk guns

Sam Miller, 111

@Marie13 CE

I recommend mako for all gear, there fins are AWESOME! I use them on scuba.

I also like ab biller, I had a 48 paduk that someone snagged a few years ago. It was my favorite gun for freeshafting down here in the keys.

@The Chairman
Pictures are in process...
Life got in the way yesterday..
Free time today

SDM
I searched the internet and saw lots of spearguns, but none specifically identified as the "Bottom Scratcher". Looking forward to learning.

I searched the internet and saw lots of spearguns, but none specifically identified as the "Bottom Scratcher". Looking forward to learning.

Me too. Meanwhile, here's an interesting link on the Bottom Scratchers Diving Club where the gun got its name. Those are some long guns for sure.

I lived in San Diego for over 30 years and never saw a freediver without a wetsuit (outside of BUD/S candidates) like these guys.

Edit, more reading in ScubaBoard Bottom Scratchers Dive Club

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom