My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onto the inside, The arms and legs have a water damn around 8inches from the opening for the wrist and ankle, it is an inch piece of neoprene. The neck area inside of the suit has a built in damn as well, same thickness as the ankle and wrist damns that you must done before closing the top. Inside of the suit is Lavacore, a joint effort by several big names in the industry (one of which is Hollis, shocker that it found its way into their only wetsuit), The description of this suit leads you believe that the Lavacore only covers the core area but truth be told, it runs from the ankles to the wrists in sections to keep you warm.

I know this thread was from a while back, but it seems some people are still checking it out. I may have inadvertently caused some mis-information to be repeated over and over again in this post -- and for others considering this suit, I wanted to clarify.

Hollis calls the interior red lining "LavaSkin". As far as I know, it's just a term they use for marketing. LAVACORE is totally different. Yes, Lavacore was invented and is owned by Oceanic (in the Hollis / AUP family), but they are completely different.

As I said -- I caused this problem, lol. I first started diving this suit in 2012, and put up a review on LeisurePro mentioning that I dive this suit with a Lavacore lining (which I think is what the OP is referring to). I meant the actual, separate item, called Lavacore (which is a different type of dive skin, with a semi-fleece type lining that keeps you incredibly warm. For cold, NE diving, in May, June and October I wear a Lavacore top and bottom UNDER my Hollis Semi-dry.

Initial take: I have received the new Hollis Semi-dry. I have not been in the water with it, rest of my gear is out for annual inspection. In a side by side to the SolaFX suit; the legs and arm material thickness is less than the solaFX but seems more dense however the SolaFX claims 8/7mm, Hollis is 8/7/6. The added back pad in the Hollis I think will be great addition. Seam seal on the outside should be big improvement, I keep burning loose threads on the SolaFX. The hood on the Hollis feels a bit small, exposes forehead to my receding hair line, this makes it easer to seal face mask but may expose sinus cavities to cold. Hollis & solaFX have good seal around the face. Hollis suit is unforgiving in the shoulder & upper arms near the point of zipper start and end locations, if you have "GUNS" you may want to try this suit to get it sized correctly. The LavaCore makes the hollis more comfortable to wear the suit for extended periods on the surface, not sure yet if it works well in the cold water.

Those are my initial comparisons of the two suits. There are all the other features you already know about like pockets, reinforcement tabs on the seams etc.. The Hollis seems built better, more durable than the SolaFX but initial fit of the two, the SolaFX is more forgiving of my odd body shape.

I am looking forward to an actual function test of the new Hollis suit. I will start with shallow dives to correct buoyancy changes, then on to more deeper / colder dives. I here the water at wreck depth this year is colder than last do to the polar vortex last winter. If this is true - I really hope this suit works. I do not want to do a recovery dive to retrieve my frozen body parts :confused: ... from the bottom of lake Michigan! I have made dives to the wrecks in a common 7mm suit with a back zipper - there is a HUGE difference once the neoprene compresses... every time you move your arms there is a fresh supply of water circulating up your spine! The Thermoclines! You know when you cross them!

I will report back soon... check your six for pointy teeth!

Anything to report since diving with your new Hollis suit? I'm just a hair away from pulling the trigger on this purchase myself. Thanks!

It has been a while since posting here on my results with the Hollis suit.. Here are my personal thoughts on this suit; It is a great build, I have dove it in 46ºF fresh water to a max depth of 25', no problems as far as thermal protection, works as intended. I was warm for indefinite amount of time (until I ran down to 500psi from 3400). The suit is VERY tough, I had a pocket snag on a Kayak paddle hold down - I hung from it and the pocket only tore a small amount (.5").

I've dove to a shipwreck called "the willie" (prince William off of the Milwaukee Wisconsin shore) with this suit and a Full Face Mask. This is a deeper wreck, 65' to the deck rail. Water was 50ºf at that depth, the suit compresses and yes it is cold but not at all intolerable. At this depth I can tell you the SolaFX is a warmer suit.

I dove the "Wisconsin" ship wreck located 7 miles off shore from Kenosha Wisconsin. Max depth 135' to bottom, 110' to the deck. I have used both Hollis and solaFX suits on this dive, again the SolaFX is warmer but for the max ND bottom time for this dive the cold does not have time to really effect me but it is there, more so with the Hollis. Again we are talking 46 - 52ºf at depth.

The suits: The Hollis suit is tough! Works perfect for cold shallow dive. The pockets are a real pain in the A** in the water. The pockets stretch and the Velcro is way too strong. Trying to pull the pockets open only stretches the whole pocket - then trying to close the pocket SECURLY lid on a flimsy lower with out seeing what your are doing is nearly impossible. The Velcro stick to the wetsuit material as well, the edges of the pockets are all chewed up right now from Velcro damage. I compare these to pockets on a dry suit - big difference in usability.

The hollis suit uses a great deal less ballast to get you going. The suit does perform well in the cold. With my FFM I had to add extra holes in the hood to vent air, the original holes were covered by the band on the mask. The Hollis suit is very flexible for maneuvers.

The SolaFX suit is thicker in places, this keeps me warmer at depth when the neoprene compresses. The SolAFX does not have pockets, I added my own pockets and they work well just look odd. You will need ore ballast to fix buoyancy with this suit and if you are going deep - at 70' the neoprene compresses and the added weight will really get you going down to your destination fast, be ready to deal with that.

Summary: Both suits work well for cold water - really beat a common 7mm suit. Both suits have pros and cons. I am recommending the soloFX to my girlfriend at this point only because she does not need pockets. The SolaFX if more forgiving during the donning and doffing. I will continue to use both suits depending on water temps - the colder temps and depth I will use the SolaFX, for everything else the hollis. For treasure hunting shallow dives it will be the hollis, I am working on a solution for the pockets.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the review!

I have about 10 dives on my Neotek now. I'll 2nd the pocket Velcro issue, I was wondering if it was just me. I've become adept at reaching across my body with my opposite arm to hold the pocket down, while pulling up on the flap. Not optimal, but usable. I'm hoping the Velcro will wear in to a lower level of grip. MrGRD, if you come up with a solution, I'd love to hear about it!

I can't yet comment on warmth, as the water here in SoCal has been unusually warm, averaging 62-64 degrees at 50 -70 FSW, and as much as 70 at the surface, Haha!

Sizing - I am in the exact center of the size range on their sizing chart for a Large. Fit is snug everywhere, particularly across the shoulders. The result is about 1/2 the time I meed help getting the last 5-6 inches of the zipper zipped. If you are even slightly close to the upper end of a size range (more than the half way point) on their chart, I'd try going up one more size.

My LDS mentioned that Hollis should have more suits in November, so availability should be improving.

Not performance related, but I do get a lot of interest and questions about the suit from other divers, especially the pockets.

One other thing... I met my girlfriend on a group dive to a local quarry. I was using my Hollis suit, FFM and all of my deep dive gear just for experience and fun (not a deep dive). At the end of the day I gave her my phone number, she called me a day later.

Talking with her here are her comments; " when I saw you in your suit and gear it was so very JAMES BOND! And when your suit was pulled off your shoulders while you walked around you looked so hot!....."

Now we are dating.. :) The hollis suit has other added benefits. She and I have done a couple of dives together now out on the great lakes.

Okay.. I'm 52 years old! Wish I could wear that suit all day every day for this reason.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 10:18 AM ----------

As for the Velcro.. I am putting "loop" material patches in strategic locations on the upper flaps, this will allow only a few locations to adhere to the lower pocket. This is removable so no permanent changes made. I am considering a plastic form glued to the inside of the pocket so the stretch is reduced and easer to seal the upper flap. This will be very thin gauge flexible. Going diving tomorrow - surface temps right now are 57ºF. It will be 25 feet or so depth, hollis suit will be used.

Last edited:
Had the Hollis on 3 wreck dives last week. Maximum depth was 95'. Temps were 37-40°.
Still love it.
I dive drysuit usually when it gets this close to winter, but thought I would give the Hollis a chance. As it turns out, all 3 of the other divers (and ALL were crazy Estonians that build winter towns out of ice!) were complaining of the cold more than I was. I was first in to set the anchor and last out (anchor removal) on every dive.
I am getting good at zipping it shut by myself.
I have been practicing with the pockets and can now use them underwater (yes, they are a bit of a pain, but WAY better than not having pockets!!)

One thing I found strange is that the suit seems to dry better if NOT left inside out. The inside material dries quite well while still INSIDE.
Great suit.

Hi guys! This review is just amazing, thanks alot!!!
Although this is my first post, I've been following alot of threads on this forums for a few months now, thanks for the amazing information btw:)

First of all: I'm quite new to diving (9 logged dives + 2 pool training sessions), I have never used a perfectly fitting suit (too small while getting certified, and too big after).

Basically I just had the opportunity to try on the hollis neotek at home free of charge. I am 1,83 cm(6 ft) and 76 kg (167 lb), which puts me in the L-XL category for height and MD-ML for Weight/Hip/Waist so I ordered the L to see if it fits as I thought most important would be the length.
Lengthwise it seems to fit me perfectly (arms and legs included), however it is a little baggy around the stomach/crotch area and the knee-area, by baggy I mean a small wrinkle around the knees and when I bend down a couple of little rolls around the stomach/crotch area. I have the feeling that it is not as snug as it should be :/

I thought about getting the ML but after reading a 'few' people on different forums who are 5'10/5'11 complaining they should have gotten the Large as theirs was soo short, think it is safe to say that the ML will be too short for me...

Do you think this will make a big impact while diving in 45-50s water? I don't want to pay 300 Euros to then have yet another ill-fitting suit (by this I mean too much water exchange for it be able to keep me warm).

Or should I just keep looking for other brands?

I've always tried to keep fit and saw it as a good thing, until today when I thought to myself "Wish i had an extra 5 killos around my belly" :D

Thanks in advance for your help :wink:

couple of pics to help see the what im talking about...
8wji38.jpg
[/IMG]

o6ekxy.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom