My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech instructor I am planning on going wth through AN/DP is someone I already know and like very much. He taught my Nitrox class. He also does SM.
Awesome!! Again, I think this is crucial and is what pushes the learning experience to the next level.

Given how I've struggled with some scuba things, I feel it's better I separate out SM from ITT.
That's totally fair.
Here's why I suggested combining them. When you take the SM class, you're basically going to be taught similar skills you would in ITT with modifications/considerations for the SM setup. At least, that's how I see it.

Another thing I would like to mention is about the skills and technique vs allowed deviation from perfect/standard/whachamacallit. This is from my experience only, so take it for whatever that's worth. I found that trying to stay inside the allowed deviation right from the beginning was making me use bad technique to achieve that. After a lot of frustration, I had to force myself to stop worrying about that, just focus on the technique and make sure I was doing the right thing. The improvements in trim and buoyancy came automatically with that and my variances are improving with time and practice. You do have to train your body to do something different and the better your muscle memory gets with the right technique, the better the results end up being.
So, for now, I'd suggest not to worry too much about staying within the tech standard for trim and buoyancy. Do ITT and SM and you'll get a ton of feedback and direction from your instructor on how to get to the tech level.

Fair enough, and I'll leave you with this...

It doesn't matter if you are in a singles rig, doubles, sidemount, no mount, monkey diving etc. A frog kick, flutter kick and turns are all the same.

Same with trim (ok, each rig will have variances in setup and placements to achieve the same result), but knowing proper trim will help you going forward in any configuration.

Buoyancy, again, doesn't matter the configuration.

_R

What skills do I need to have down cold before I begin any tech training?

Mindset change is the most important.
  • Team discipline. You're self sufficient but you dive as a team.
  • Humility. Be wary of the Dunning Kruger effect (on yourself and others).
  • Procedures driven. No shortcuts.

Ability to ask questions if you don't know or unsure. Or you are unsure what your instructor / guide / buddy means.

I'm pretty sure you have that one down! At least on the web - I haven't met you but assume the same is true in person.

I have seen a few divers that did not have that ability at all. I'm not a tech diver, but there is no way I'd want to do a difficult Rec dive with any of them. I'm pretty sure that applies even more to a tech dive.

I intend going with TDI.

I'm fairly sure the basics--call them fundamentals or whatever--are the same for aspiring tech divers no matter what agency the instructor teaches under. I gave the link to the Fundies curriculum/standards because GUE lays it all out neatly and has well-defined standards, such as being able to keep trim to within 20 degrees of horizontal. But the basic skills of proper buoyancy, trim, propulsion (kicks), S-drills, valve drills, situational awareness, etc., are pretty much universal for aspiring tech divers (with variations depending on gear configuration). When we have that stuff "down cold," we're ready for the nuts and bolts part of "tech."

Trim, buoyancy, and trying to get some semblance of a frog kick going are what I've been focusing on, so I can at least work on those, if nothing else.

Ability to ask questions if you don't know or unsure. Or you are unsure what your instructor / guide / buddy means.

I'm pretty sure you have that one down! At least on the web - I haven't met you but assume the same is true in person.

I have seen a few divers that did not have that ability at all. I'm not a tech diver, but there is no way I'd want to do a difficult Rec dive with any of them. I'm pretty sure that applies even more to a tech dive.

Yes, I am always full of questions and don't hesitate to look like a fool by asking even simple questions. I'd rather look like a fool than screw up!

IIRC, you mentioned in another thread your Atomic Split Fins. My favorite fins for single tank rec diving hands down, but you'll find yourself struggling to perform more 'tech-oriented' kicks and skills with those, especially back kick and efficient frog kicks when carrying 2 or more large cylinders. And split fins in a wreck penetration scenario is not a good idea, if that is your end goal. A stiff paddle fin will be a wise piece of gear to invest in and work with. Practice absolute control by finning alone.

You'll probably want a fin that isn't too negatively buoyant if you're going SM vs BM doubles. OMS slipstreams, Deep6, Apeks RK are all classic paddle fin designs that will work with any kick but aren't as negatively buoyant as Hollis F1 or Jets. I think Hollis does an F1 lite now too.

google basic 6

practise the basic 6.......over and over again....

Yeah, I know that about the split fins. I won't switch until I absolutely have to. The stiff paddles I tried (Dive Rite XT, Hollis F2, Apeks Rocket RK3) all hurt my knees something awful. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom