my new BC gave me a big headache !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sell Mares BC's and have had this come up several times from new students. Each time it has occurred, it has been an issue with the weight pocket not being secured properly... ie.... "clicked" in on the buckle. 3/4 inflation was on 2 of the bc's. Third I believe was part of the material got pinched in the buckle and didn't let it seat properly. Listen for the distinctive CLICK.

Don't get the bright idea to use a little zip tie on the buckle, they are still tough to break if you had too.

If I had to guess, that is what happened to you. Make this one of the "double check" items on your pre-dive routine checklist and you should have any issues down the road.

Craig,

You logic is correct, that most likely the buckle were not fully snapped on some of the occasions. It is much more difficult to snap in when the pocket is near weight capacify, the bc has air in it, or the cargo pockets are full. This in my mind is a design flaw, the force necessary should be constant. You should be able to insert the pocket with some air in the BC. Maybe it can be overcome with extra predive checks, but why mess with something not bulletproof. (Note: I am biased againt listening for the click, I am getting pretty hard of hearing.)

However, with the one the the strap pulled through on definitly released itself. I was able to reproduce this experimentally. I could snap the buckle in place, turn the BC horizonal and shake the pocket out onto the floor. Again, not going to give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Once I fixed the strap, the pocket return to normal operation.

I just arrived from my very first diving trip with some friends. (Sharm el shiekh - egypt) (it was more like heaven underwater over there)

anyways, I kept reminding myself to double check the weights and try to pull them from the anywhere else other than the handle by force but they are firmly locked and never had any issue with them so far.

Headache no more :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom