My new Deep Six regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tattooedjeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I finally got a chance to try out my brand new Deep Six regs yesterday...I really liked them! They performed amazingly and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. While I'm not as experienced nor have I tried as many different brands as a lot of people here on this board, the Deep Six gear breathed and felt better than anything I've used to date. Thank you guys for the awesome service, the complimentary shirt (though it was super huge,lol) and my fantastic new regulator set. You guys have surely won me over and new bright orange fins are in the works for Christmas. -Mark

Glad you enjoyed the reg, sorry the shirt is too large. Next order remind us and we'll send you one that fits.

Oh, I'm not worried about the shirt at all, I'll pony up the dough for the next one. I'm keeping an eye on the site for the new computer since it's on the list for my daughter for her Christmas and the fins are next for me. I have feeling our dive gear will slowly become more and more orange.

I am excited about Deep6 too. A few questions ...

1. Does Deep6 allow users to service their own regs?
2. If someone does not want to service their own regs, do they send it to the manufacturer?
3. Is there a service interval that has to be obeyed after which service/warranty is lost?
4. Do you purchase straight from the website?

Thanks for the review mate.

I am excited about Deep6 too. A few questions ...

1. Does Deep6 allow users to service their own regs?
2. If someone does not want to service their own regs, do they send it to the manufacturer?
3. Is there a service interval that has to be obeyed after which service/warranty is lost?
4. Do you purchase straight from the website?

Thanks for the review mate.
1. Of course, yes
2. yes, in fact first service is on us
3 obeyed?? No, the recommended service is 2 years 600 dives, if you ignore that however there is no warranty implications. At some point you may have a seat/oring failure etc if you don't service, but what that wont do is cause any manuf defects..so lack of servicing is not a excuse for us to dodge the warranty. Now, not rinsing and letting it corrode, get barnacles growing on etc is YOUR problem.
4 Yes

I think @cerich pretty much invented reg self-service (at manufacturer level). No reason that would not carry over to Deep 6.
I didn't invent it, I just recognized it was happening and that the right thing to do was support it.

Got my regs last week (single tank package) and got to play around with them in the pool (12 ft) over the weekend. I'm a new diver and wasn't planning on buying regs until I had more experience, but after reading up on the measurements and other people's experiences with these regs I decided to give them a shot. Now having used them a bit I'd say that compared to the regs I've used up till now (stuff I've been told is "nice" for rental/student gear), these are night and day...so much nicer breathing. Non-noticeable cracking pressure...sip or huff and it delivers what you ask for without delay or drag that I noticed. Exhale...probably less difference there than with anything I've used before, but still noticeably nicer to me. It seems hard to beat these for price/performance.

A few details FWIW: Venturi lever in - position, no free flow; in + position, pretty much always free flow. The adjustment knob...didn't really notice much difference across the adjustment range (didn't expect much given that I was just dorking around in a pool). Regs had a couple smudges on them when they arrived (you can see in the pics). The smudgescame out with a little moisture and rubbing. That's the only negative in the whole experience so far...they initially looked like they might be permanent. I was quite relieved when they came off easily.

I'm looking forward to using these on some "real" dives soon.

I like the 2-gauge cluster. Nice and small compared to stuff I've used before and easy to read with hash marks every 100 psi. The depth gauge has a max needle. I also got the wrist compass...solid and a bit easier to use than other stuff I've used before. The material slides less on my wrist, without being uncomfortable. I also like the side window for seeing your bearing and level-ness.

Oh, and the t-shirt fits real nice! :)

Pics links (they seem a bit on the large side to include inline):
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/media/img_3876.201832/full?d=1479146704
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/media/img_3878.201833/full?d=1479146704
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/media/img_3879.201834/full?d=1479146704
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/media/img_3880.201835/full?d=1479146704
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/media/img_3881.201836/full?d=1479146704

So, I have a quick question about my new regs. I've put several dives on these now and am more than happy with performance, but every time I've hooked them up to a tank the din o-ring leaks. Sometimes I can release the pressure then re pressurize the system and it'll seal, other times I have to take the reg off the tank (inevitably find the o-ring because every time I remove the first stage the o-ring falls off) then re seat the o-ring, lube it with a little spit then re-try. usually the second try is the charm...So, am I doing something weird that didn't effect the din o-ring on my titans but the Deep Six regs don't like? Or is the o-ring just too big and pops off every time I remove the reg from a tank? Any help would be awesome. On a different note, I got to try my Eddy fins in a pool today and loved them. The wife didn't even noticed I slipped them from the unwrapped present pile to try them out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom