My new Olympus PT-030 holds water well!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCoastdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my sp-350 about 2weeks ago and played with it alot around the house, I was worried about getting it and not the new SeaLife 500 but, after using it aroud the house I was glad I got it.

I got the housing monday and I couldn't wait to get in the water and take some pictures, so today I grabbed the wife and the boat and out in the gulf we went.

Our first dive was at the rube, got loaded up and in we went, at about 8'-10' I went to turn on the camera, nothing happened? when I took a closer look the damn thing was half full of water, thats not a leek thats a flood, what a POS, I knew I sould of got the sealife. :bash:

Yes I did a pre-dive check, every :censored: day since monday. :banghead:

That sucks. I have two Oly housings with lotsa dives on them and never had a flood. I feel for you...

Hate to say it - the question is not if, but when will your camera flood. Hope you had it insured

After my flood I tried to push it on this or that, yet came to the realization that when it boils down to it it is always some kind of human error...

GulfCostdiver:
Yes I did a pre-dive check, every :censored: day since monday. :banghead:
So far I've managed about 200 dives with a Olympus PT-016 housing without incident. Don't know if it's my methods or just dumb luck.

Perhaps your bad experience can help others.

What sort of pre-check do you do, and what did you do with the housing between your last pre-check and splashing in?

I flooded a PT-023 on the 4th dive and I know exactly what I did wrong. It was my mistake not the housing.

I've got about 40 dives on the replacement and not a problem.

Charlie99:
So far I've managed about 200 dives with a Olympus PT-016 housing without incident. Don't know if it's my methods or just dumb luck.

Perhaps your bad experience can help others.

What sort of pre-check do you do, and what did you do with the housing between your last pre-check and splashing in?

I when over the hole hosing because it was new right out of the box, checked the O-ring, the groove in sets in and the other side it seels to, put a little silicone grease that came with it on the o-ring, checked the TTL connector cap to make sure it was water tite.
I think the water came in around the power button? :06:

i am so so sorry to hear of this happening to anyone, though i will say once fixed and back on the road (water) you will be much happier with the oly then the sealife, just what i have heared and seen of the sealife,compared to many i have seen from an oly camera!!!

We all feel your pain. As others have said, it's a case of when you get a flood, not whether you'll get a flood.

What has worked for me, so far at least, is pretty simple.

I fill with tap water a container about 1 foot high, just big enough to hold the housing (for the PT-016, a 2 quart lemonade pitcher works pretty well). Dunk it for just a couple seconds, looking for a big bubble cloud. Then for about 30 seconds, and a cursory look at the housing to see if water drops are inside. Then leave it soaking for anywhere from 10 minutes to the next morning if I forget it. Dry off and inspect the housing.

I try to avoid opening the housing unless I can do this simple dunk test again. When possible, I setup the housing leisurely the night before.

This intent of this test is to catch my dumb mistakes --- improperly latched, hair across the O-ring, etc.

If you haven't already, dry out the housing and retest it without the camera. I put mine in the kitchen sink, submerged with a 1lb. soft weight on top. I press all the buttons about 50 times and turn all the knobs. I leave it in for at least half and hour, usually longer. Then I dry the exterior and carefully open it in a clean well lit place and look for any dampness inside or dampness on the dessicant pack. Then I hold it up to a bright light and turn it to all different angles before I reclose it. I do this after every dive to get the salt off and check for leaks. This should show up the problem. I'm really sorry you flooded, and I really hope it doesn't happen to me, but if you take stuff underwater sometimes it leaks. Ask my wife about her new $3000 (semi)dry suit.
Before I bought my camera, I asked around very thoroughly and heard nothing but praise from owners for the longevity and watertightness of Oly housings. They have their faults (bulkheads, bottom mounts...)but they seem to hold out water as well as anything comparable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom