My new Olympus PT-030 holds water well!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C:
I read a maintenance thread about using syringe to squirt a little food grade silicone into the slot around the buttons. Any thoughts? And should that be inside or outside the housing?

I do it from the outside...but can't say if it's right or wrong or if it should be manybe done from both sides.

No, doing it from the outside is right. If you do it on the insides, and get too much silicone, it will drop onto your camera. Not good!

Thanks Dee. I'll have to start doing that. I don't like sticking buttons and o-rings cut up by salt crystals.

Who do you insure your camera gear with? Has anyone actually filed a claim and had a good experience? Any idea on costs, deductibles etc??

I insure with DEPP. I also use a syringe and silicone on the orings. If you go to some of the military surplus site or a gun show you can buy a large syringe and different sized needles to fit the little channels that are cut into the housing to get to the button shaft.

My friend test dove his oly housing and even went on a real dive with it. We get to Key Largo and he hops in with his camera and it rapidly floods within a few feet of the surface. After all that preparation, he caught a corner of the silica drying pack in the seal leaving quite a big gap.

I happened to damage my housing the next day and I used his, after a thorough inspection and a test dunk in the local swimming pool.

I think most floods are caused by human error, especially if you get past that first immersion, whether it be in a bucket, pool, or the ocean.

David

I understand that most floods occur from human error but why can't the engineers develop a system that has a little less room for that?? Development make toys safer for kids, now we need them to make our toys safer for us too! :) Our dive group has had 2 Pt030 flood. One was because the sync cord got caught under one of the latches in high, rough seas. We never figured out what happened on the second one. Olympus wasn't so patient with us when we called customer service. They just interupted us and told us "Sorry, I am sure it was user error." When my Sealife flooded, they sent me a new camera and apologized for my trouble, even though it, too, could have been "user error." I am sticking with my DC500. Besides, on the last trip to Key Largo, my pictures beat my husbands with his 5060 to pieces!

blahblah:
I always pack the night before and sink test.

Good advice - I always assemble my camera the night before diving ,or if I am going out for the evening even 2 days before . Never in a rushed environment .It's just too easy to make a basic error .I even attach the lens hood leash after I have closed the housing .

Back
Top Bottom