Trip Report My Puerto Aventuras diary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first time diving in the area I was nervous about renting a car but have had no issues. We rent directly from the CUN airport, stay in PA, and then drive around to the cenotes/ruins/etc.

I'm a little shocked you weren't able to find what you needed at the Chedraui? We get all of our staples for the week there and find they also have a nice selection of wine and alcohol.

Enjoy your time there, I am itching to go back!

For me, touring the Mayan ruins sites felt a lot like touring castles and cathedrals in Europe: after a few, they all started to look the same. Except for Tulum, which is unmistakable for its coastal location, I can't recall anything about which site was which.

There is a small mayan site on the island of cancun. Not much in terms of buildings, just foundations of an old market place, but a great collection of iguanas if you like iguanas (which the wife and I do) and it is on the bus routes.

Don't miss the CEDAM Museum – National Museum of Underwater Archeology in PA.

I agree. I think we had been going to PA for several years before we ventured up the stairs. Really gives you a great perspective going through there.

Watch out for tropical storm Nate, developing in Honduras & will pickup strength to 50 mph by tomorrow 1pm over Cancun / Cozumel.

Watch out for tropical storm Nate, developing in Honduras & will pickup strength to 50 mph by tomorrow 1pm over Cancun / Cozumel.

Might be a good cenote day, although the lack of direct sunlight may lessen the experience.

Day 3

Thanks for all the input guys. Did not know about the museum. Definitely want to check it out and so far no one here is talking about the storm. I am suppose to start my class the next day or two. Waiting to hear from Nat now.

Renting the car here was easy but I admit I liked having the driver from the airport until I could get my Mexican driving attitude adjustment. I recommend anyone driving here have excellent situational awareness and assume that everyone is out to get you. :D I also found that my Waze app works just as well here, so far, as at home.

Coba

It was a long, hot, beautiful day although the forecast had made it sound like it would be stormy all day. Had just a few light and brief showers pass by. We arrived at Coba about 8:30 but still one of the first there. 50 pesos to park in a wide open parking area and entry to the site 70 pesos each. There are bathrooms and a gift shop with snacks at the entrance. You can walk it but we rented bikes at 50 pesos and bought a small map. You do not need the map. There are also three wheeled bike “taxis” for hire. If you start out walking but tire there are taxis also available at several sites along the way. We considered a guide and even spoke with one briefly but we finally decided to just do our own thing.

I recommend going early as we did and head straight to Ixmoja, the grand pyramid (the left fork on the map).It is the feature of the site and gets crowded quickly. Then retrace your steps until you reach the other section and do it last as it seems to be less congested even later in the morning. Coba is still part jungle so except for climbing the pyramid we were mostly shaded making sunscreen less a necessity but I definitely recommend insect spray.

Tulum

We finished Coba 11:45. Had a snack then headed back to Tulum. (BTW watch out for speed bumps along the road from Tulum to Coba both as you head out of Tulum and at several small villages along the route). Having read some reviews we were not expecting much and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. It is very different from Coba but I enjoyed it just as much, after we got past the tourist traps. And you don’t need to rent bikes here or ride the tram. Its just a short walk to the entrance. We got taken for the parking at the tourist shops, 100 pesos but entry was again 70 pesos each. I strongly recommend sunscreen here.

The site was crowded by then but I found the contrast with Coba interesting with its well excavated and labeled ruins. And of course the dramatic view of ruin and ocean. Tons of iguanas and we were even fortunate enough to see a Mama Un Coati and 3 young ones. All in all a very good day but I wished I had saved Tulum for another morning so less crowded, cooler and I not so tired.

We arrived back at PA about 3:30 and stopped at Taco Paco near the entrance. We each got a fish and a shrimp taco. I admit I was a bit concerned when we saw them. They were heavily breaded but we were hungry at it was actually pretty good.

And I heard back from Nat while writing this up and looks like class starts Saturday so tomorrow, weather dependent will be the museum and maybe Xcaret. Or maybe Cenotes. :)

Attachments

• 343314A1-79E3-410C-8BBE-8C07527B08B2.jpeg
    343314A1-79E3-410C-8BBE-8C07527B08B2.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 35
  • A4E58012-3BB5-472A-BFCF-7DAEA0520E5E.jpeg
    A4E58012-3BB5-472A-BFCF-7DAEA0520E5E.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
If you like cenote diving, you may meet with the real Natalie, the cave diver, who has been guiding me to dive in several cenotes there since 2011.

Her dive shop: UNDER THE JUNGLE is at KM 264 Carretera Federal 307, Xpu-Ha, not too far from where you stay, probably about 2-3 km south.

Hey Dan. Thats the Natalie that I was waiting to hear from. Weather permitting she will be picking me up here Saturday to introduce me to the Razor and start my refresher course. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom