My Research Note For Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, are you aware of technical diving opportunities? We found some possible guided dive sites

The tank valves I've historically seen were mostly yoke. I think a pony bottle I rented from Buddy Dive years ago may've (?) been DIN, but had a regulator already on it so I didn't seen to mess with that. I have no professional or tec. dive training, so my awareness of it is very limited.

I went to WannaDive's website (pretty, but not the easiest to learn details from) and finally found a price list, but the courses I see on offer are recreational (& the Dive Master course). If you want to know whether they offer tec. classes, better ask them directly.

Years ago staying at Buddy Dive Resort, I recall seeing about 3 sets of manifolded doubles set out and Buddy Dive does offer some technical support. In the Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire thread, Post # 43 there's mention of Buddy Dive Resort (I infer she was using them?), and in Post #44, DoctorMike mentioned "I have done the tech dive in front of Buddy Dive - the Hesper, at 150 feet, and it looked like a big plane after the end of the reef dropoff, but I guess there is another dropoff further out." Their website indicates they teach a range of tec. courses, and they've got a page on tec. diving.

You can find Technical Diving Services on grounds at Captain Don's Habitat.

I think the same week I was in Bonaire, @Superlyte27 was there doing technical dives. I didn't run across him personally, but saw where he mentioned it in another thread. You might ask him about tec. diving service providers, and good choices in tec. dives there.

I'm not knocking WannaDive at all, just suggesting if they don't offer the tec. services you're looking for, maybe you can book ala carte with Buddy or Captain Don's.

I did a 391' dive off the coast of Buddy Dive. They have everything you need for technical diving.

Wow. Great detail. Thank you for writing and posting all this.

Does anyone have experience with Eden Beach?

Hi Scuba Gypsy

We stayed at Eden a few years back when I did someTDI training at Wannadive with Jeffrey Klempff.

No complaints about the room and the resort has a nice pool, beach area built above the shore and a pretty active bar/nightclub. There were a lot of cruise ship people coming on day passes so the grounds got quite busy, but with the new beach club next door, that may be no longer the case.

Since you are also interested in Tech diving, my experience with Jeff was overwhelmingly positive. Although I had been solo diving for years beforehand, I wanted to avoid any problems others have reported that seem to be creeping into getting fills for diving alone, so decided to get “anointed” with the SDI solo course. I followed that up with advanced Nitrox training with up to 100 percent oxygen deco gas and doubles for bottom gas. I do not know if he is still there, but Jeff was great and had good equipment available for tech diving.

AGD

Directly off the coast. About a 12 minute swim straight west headed toward the island. I'd guess it's more than 600' deep.

Hi Scuba Gypsy

We stayed at Eden a few years back when I did someTDI training at Wannadive with Jeffrey Klempff.

No complaints about the room and the resort has a nice pool, beach area built above the shore and a pretty active bar/nightclub. There were a lot of cruise ship people coming on day passes so the grounds got quite busy, but with the new beach club next door, that may be no longer the case.

Since you are also interested in Tech diving, my experience with Jeff was overwhelmingly positive. Although I had been solo diving for years beforehand, I wanted to avoid any problems others have reported that seem to be creeping into getting fills for diving alone, so decided to get “anointed” with the SDI solo course. I followed that up with advanced Nitrox training with up to 100 percent oxygen deco gas and doubles for bottom gas. I do not know if he is still there, but Jeff was great and had good equipment available for tech diving.

AGD

For Tec you go to Buddy dive or Capt.Don.s. Jeff from Wannadive moved off island last year.

Dude! Where were you 2 months ago when we were planning our trip. We just got back and had a great vacation. Your information here is spot on accurate! Thanks for the great write up. Anyone planning a trip would be re-missed to not pay close attention to your articles. :) Scott

Any Reason You Wouldn’t Want To Go?

-----Bonaire is my favorite dive destination because I love fixed cost ‘all you can dive buffet’ dive freedom (e.g. solo diving), easy navigation and good general Caribbean diving, a single day flight to/from America at a cost not outrageous. Love it. Would anyone would be better served elsewhere?

-----Oh, yeah. While little touches Bonaire’s sheer simple ease of cramming in a high shore dive count, other destinations win out on a range of things.

-----1.) Great reef – Bonaire’s good, but Little Cayman’s Bloody Bay Wall rocks. I’d also give the nod to the outer atolls region out of Belize, reached by live-aboard.
-----2.) ‘Big Stuff’ – particularly more species of large grouper (besides tiger grouper) – Nassau, Black and Yellow-fin grouper, more eagle and/or southern stingrays, reef and nurse sharks – gotta give it to Cozumel, Little Cayman, the outer atolls of Belize and Key Largo (Florida). Bonaire does have sea turtles, tarpon, barracuda, tiger grouper, cuberra snapper, green morays and some rays.
-----3.) Really big stuff – for the Goliath grouper aggregation, hit Jupiter, Florida late summer/early fall. For the lemon shark aggregation, hit it in winter. If you want a range of shark species, high likelihood of success and close up action, and don’t mind shark feed dives, hit Jupiter (season varies by species). For frequent fairly large shark encounters without shark feed diving, try the offshore wreck diving out of Morehead City or Wilmington, North Carolina.
-----4.) If you want to stay in the U.S.A., keep airfare cheap, have access to mainland Florida, enjoy shallower diving over flat, hard bottom, fairly lush and (in my view) more (and bigger) fish (albeit viz. wasn’t as good), with the option for deep wreck diving, try Key Largo, Florida.
-----5.) If you want kelp, a different ocean and set of species, and seal and sea lion action, try California (but cold water with lower viz. and only one hard coral species).
-----6.) If you are physically impaired (e.g.: falls are serious), or like taking it easy, a live-aboard offers a similar dive count, a lot less work (you don’t load and unload trucks, swap tanks, walk in/out over ironshore and rubble, etc…), in a ‘turn key’ simple setup (e.g.: they transport, feed and clean up after you, fill your tank, usually provide a dive guide, etc…). Some land-based operations can get you 4 dives/day (e.g.: Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo and St. Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventure did for me). If you like a lot of boat diving with the option for shore diving, Curacao or Grand Cayman should serve.
-----7.) Higher End Healthcare Support – Bonaire has a hospital, but if you or a fellow traveler have a serious condition, check what they do and don’t handle. I went to Key Largo in 2013 in part because it was a family trip with our baby daughter; I wanted full service medical care on hand if she got seriously ill.
-----8.) Not much sandy beach – while it’s much larger, more populous, more complex to plan (e.g.: whether to stay at Westpunt or near Williamstad), the sandy beaches, civilized offerings (e.g.: the Sea Aquarium), scenic capital city and other amenities of Curacao deserve consideration. 2 Shots of Sand Dollar Condo.'s beach area, & 1 of the Bachelors Beach dive site.
View attachment 547245 View attachment 547244 View attachment 547243

-----9.) You want shore diving with topside amenities – food, etc… Most Bonaire dive sites are ‘rustic’ – no rinse showers, snack shacks, etc… Some sites at Curacao and Grand Cayman have amenities (though a fee may be involved, or in G.C. you are to rent tanks at the onsite op. and solo diving may be forbidden).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom