• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

My Research Notes from Planning Galapagos Trip

Discussion in 'South America' started by drrich2, Jan 29, 2020.

1. AlvaroDiver

AlvaroDiver Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hi, I am scheduled for a trip at the end of October, so I am checking all the info being published in the Ecuador media about the new protocol for tourists.
    What I've red is that if you have a PCR done in your country that tested negative and that was done on the 96 hours before arriving to Galapagos, you don't need to do am extra one in Quito, so, in my case, I can do it, for example, wednesday evening on Spain, travel to Quito on Saturday and depart to San Cristobal Sunday morning, since the 96 hours won't still be complete.
    Isn't that correct?
    I will probably try to to communicate with the Ecuatorian embassy here in Spain on September before booking the Galapagos flight, because, like you said, they plan to change the schedules and frequency of the flight after this first opening in August, depending on the demand.

2. Dom@DiveAdvice

Dom@DiveAdvice Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives:
    Hi Alvaro - sounds exciting and it should be a good time to be there. The new regulations that were published by the ministry on Thursday this week, require that everyone has a PCR test in advance of arriving in Ecuador and I was first told that it had to be within 10 days but yesterday I was informed it must be within 7 days of arrival in Ecuador. In addition, you must have a 2nd PCR test at the arrival airport in Ecuador and must quarantine at a local hotel for 24 hours while you await results of test. That means a minimum 2 nights hotel are required. They will then issue you a note that your result is negative (hopefully), which you must present at checkin for the flight to Galapagos. I understand that without that note they will not permit you to board the flight. This is the latest and it might change again but I would not risk staying for just one night prior. Quite honestly, there is a huge amount of disinformation going around and even some Govt websites do not show this information. We have clients flying from the US for a trip departing Aug 27 and we have informed them of this and they are flying in 2 days prior. I would suggest that you contact the agent or boat that you have booked this thru and ask them to check it and confirm the new protocol. They may not even know as I was just sent a mail by a boat today telling me that one had to quarantine for 48 hours but not mentioning the 2nd PCR test and I had two agents from Ecuador who contacted me to ask what the new protocol was - and they live and work in Quito !! I should know more after the Aug 27 trip so feel welcome to send me an email if you have any questions - dom@diveadvice.com - here is what I got from one of the top dive liveaboards last night and no mention of the 2nd test. Its the wildwest out there and you need to stay on top of a lot of restrictions as they may change without notice. Good luck and most important - enjoy.

Galapagos information update:

Galapagos is now open to foreign and Ecuadorian visitors. It will gradually return to normal.

Travelers upon arrival must present a negative result of the COVID-19 PCR swab test (which has been taken within 7 days prior to departure), sign a declaration form and a 48-hour quarantine prior to visiting the Islands. It is only 48 hours; those are the statements of the Minister of Tourism of Ecuador. The information is dynamic, so this APO will change for future trips.

drrich2 likes this.
  3. AlvaroDiver

AlvaroDiver Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks for the info!
    I will then count on those 2 nights in Quito but let's see how the trips in August go, I hope in September everything gets clearer.

4. Dom@DiveAdvice

Dom@DiveAdvice Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives:
    You are welcome Alvaro - I believe that once the machine gets going and they all understand their roles, that all will go smoothly. The real issues will be the domestic flights and I recommend that you buy them from someone locally in Ecuador or Galapagos, that have a contact with the airlines. Online can be tricky and I have heard from clients in the past that bought flights thru a Spanish online agent, who could not change the flights when there was a change in their itinerary. I can give you a contact for a reliable agent in Galapagos, with whom I have worked with for 15 years and who can help you with those - just email me when you are ready.