My Rix SA-6 Diesel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The paste is a lube that addresses the heat generated with wrenching the fittings together, allowing you to make the connection tight/leak free.

In my case, for ease of connection, all fittings were converted or transitioned to JIC for any hoses & tubing.

I have a few JIC in there, but there's a lot of stuff (so far) that should really stay together. Like the gauge - sight glass - PMV. Not really any reason that I can think of to have hoses in between.

If I ever get really fancy maybe I'll build a panel with compression fittings.

You really need to be able to very strongly mate those fittings.... At times, I used a vise to aid in the strength needed to make the connections. NPT and BSP are a beast....

I did use a vice for a lot of the fittings, but thankfully not the tower base.

The paste is a lube that addresses the heat generated with wrenching the fittings together, allowing you to make the connection tight/leak free.

I guess I should ask... what paste? I have plenty of "Gasoila", but I'm not sure if that is correct.

51TsopRU1cL._SL1000_.jpg

correct, sub-assemblies are all NPT to NPT.

As to the paste, I was gifted a syringe of a modest amount to do the limited connections.

written on the syringe is "TFE Pipe Thread Sealant" and also included a note that it will stain clothing....

keep in mind, the tape or paste is to lubricate the fitting allowing you to mate the threads completely, and not really intended to be the sealing mechanism.

keep in mind, the tape or paste is to lubricate the fitting allowing you to mate the threads completely, and not really intended to be the sealing mechanism.

Understood.... it's the same in gas applications as well. It's just a lubricant.

I was just reading about LOX 8. Thanks.

@tbone1004, in your experience tape / paste? I don't need O2 compatible just yet, plans are to build a nitrox stick, but even that won't be above 40%-50% by the time it gets to the fittings.

Nitrox stick is low pressure after the regulator so doesn't have to be O2 clean.
Paste is a bit messier obviously, but I have lost a couple of SS fittings when the tape slipped and galled which the paste won't do

Nitrox stick is low pressure after the regulator so doesn't have to be O2 clean.
Paste is a bit messier obviously, but I have lost a couple of SS fittings when the tape slipped and galled which the paste won't do

Just regular tape from say home depot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom