My Rix SA-6 Diesel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I should ask... what paste? I have plenty of "Gasoila", but I'm not sure if that is correct.

View attachment 652470

Heck I hope we wont end up building this thing for you and doing August Industries job for free.

But read the lable on this "Gasoila" junk, the part where it says:

"WARNING Flammable Eye Irritant"

And ask yourself at 207 bar (3000psi) do I really need to breathe this junk in as well?

I had leaks when I used the paste and switched to tape which eliminated all problems. tbone1004 posted the link to the correct one.

The filter tower is made by American Airworks and I couldn't find anything bad about the company before I bought it.

You have now.

And its only the start wait till you post more photos of it.

All fittings were bought through August Industries. Everyone that I've spoken with said they were a reputable company.

With respect being reputable is one thing. As is Amazon or any reseller retailer of boxes of other folks stuff.

But being experienced competant and capable is what your really looking for.

Heck I hope we wont end up building this thing for you and doing August Industries job for free.

And ask yourself at 207 bar (3000psi) do I really need to breathe this junk in as well?

that one I wouldn't use but the one that I linked is recommended by Swagelok

So I'm trying to order the right parts. Looking to see if anyone knows the difference between these?;

USIT Sealing Gasket R 1/4 - August Industries Inc.

Copper Gasket - August Industries Inc.

I'm assuming the USIT gasket is better, but can anyone tell me why? I'm searching goodle but coming up empty.

I have read that some put teflon paste on the threads and ATV sealant on the washer. Is this needed?

Thanks.
The fittings that came with my tower from Sheldon Sporting Goods just had o-rings and has worked fine for a few years. Cannot say if this is correct, only that it is working.

I spoke with August, they said just use regular tape....even the "green O2" tape is pretty much the same as the white stuff. My unit will never see high O2, so I think I'm ok with what I have on there.

I would have never used the paste that I have without verifying it 1st. It's the only stuff that I had "on the shelf".

August did tell me to use just a dab of anti seize on the GSP because of the dissimilar metals. I found that interesting.

You have now.

And its only the start wait till you post more photos of it.

If I had it to do over again I might spring for the LF tower, but this is what I have. I'll let you know how it goes.

With respect being reputable is one thing. As is Amazon or any reseller retailer of boxes of other folks stuff.

I took your recommendation and only bought from experienced / reputable people (except maybe the American Airworks tower.... still too early to tell). Nothing is from Amazon.

The fittings that came with my tower from Sheldon Sporting Goods just had o-rings and has worked fine for a few years. Cannot say if this is correct, only that it is working.

The USIT o rings / washers are supposedly a little better, so I bought those. The rubber inside the ring helps seal and the metal holds it together. Same thing on high pressure hydraulic lines.

On the bright side....at least you didn't say anything bad about the plumbing I did on the unit itself?!?:)

All I really did was add gauges. (Better gauges, not crap).

I have some small experience with a couple of rocketry groups that have extensive LOX experience. They are all unanimous in their hatred for NPT and Teflon. If they had total control, they would never use it. However, because they don’t have total control, it actually ends up at least the second most common fitting used, usually because it’s the second best choice that’s *alway* available.

They are also unanimous in their use of Teflon tape over Teflon paste. However, their requirements are a little different: cryo is a real issue. Because of my experience there, I’ve only used tape myself. With good technique, I’ve never felt the need to change: leak-free joints with virtually no issues, including galling on SS.

So far, anyway...

I have some small experience with a couple of rocketry groups that have extensive LOX experience. They are all unanimous in their hatred for NPT and Teflon. If they had total control, they would never use it. However, because they don’t have total control, it actually ends up at least the second most common fitting used, usually because it’s the second best choice that’s *alway* available.

They are also unanimous in their use of Teflon tape over Teflon paste. However, their requirements are a little different: cryo is a real issue. Because of my experience there, I’ve only used tape myself. With good technique, I’ve never felt the need to change: leak-free joints with virtually no issues, including galling on SS.

So far, anyway...

Gosh I feel like if I'm good at nothing else in life it's probably taping threads and screwing stuff together. I spent years in the field putting together intricate gas systems (and some simple ones too). It's actually pretty scary to think about how many hours of my life have been spent do that one task.

Thanks for your insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom