My Scubapro A700 and my wifes Scubapro S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard a lot about the Pilot; correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Pilot servo assisted/controlled (like Poseidon?) & an unusual design for SP?
I've heard people say that it's the best reg ever made. Is it really THAT good? I know that's subjective but still...

I've heard a lot about the Pilot; correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Pilot servo assisted/controlled (like Poseidon?) & an unusual design for SP?
I've heard people say that it's the best reg ever made. Is it really THAT good? I know that's subjective but still...

Yes, it really is that good. The very small pilot (servo) valve takes very little work to operate. The main valve is operated by the imbalance set up by the pilot valve and is fairly large so it can flow lots of gas. But it's downfall is the complex mechanisms to achieve this. A simple balanced poppet just makes more sense and breathes about the same in most conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pilot is pretty damn good, and it is a pilot valve, which is unique for SP. But most of the pilots available used have been converted to the center balanced spool valve which was in the Air1 and D series 2nd stages. So basically what you get is an Air1 in a metal case. Both of my pilots have been converted. They also perform extremely well and are very easy to service if you're familiar with the D series.

Back
Top Bottom