My Thunder Bay Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
An old military buddy and I cooked up a plan the see each other and do a little diving. Jon lives in Midland MI. so what we decided is that we would meet in Alpina and dive the wreck's in Thunder Bay. What makes this so kool is that my buddy and I had not seen each other in 16 years and I have never been diving in the Great Lakes!

The First night we went out on the boat in calm flat water not even a ripple! we went almost 30 miles away from the bay to a wreck that is on both our hit list the Monrovia, and had a blast seeing all of the big ship's coming in.

Our first day of diving meet us with storms and 1-2 ft waves Jon thought it best if we stay close just in case we had to make a run for it. so we went out to the Grecian by the time we got their we were in 4-6 footers. My wife and I were the first to splash with the lake being "low" the wreck rest in 98 ft of water and it is a moster. we made or way over the stern and I droped three decks down while my wife took video. we meet up in the flat center of the hull and went on to the bow. My wife had prime second stage problems about half way back and her air was going fast we cooked it back to the up line and as my wife cracked the surface ran out of air! And yes we did our safety stop :wink:
Jon and his buddy splashed next and did their dive while we watched the boat as the storm was passing but the wind still made it rough. This is just one amazing wreck and I cant wait to see her again this time maby in calm "seas"

For dive #2 we waited for the storm to pass and did an late afternoon dive on the Oscar T. Flint this is only about 34 ft deep but it had the cover of the bay, still a great dive my wife stayed on the boat while us three went down. This wreck still holds her cargo of lime stone, their is not a lot of the hull left to see but its windlass and two rather large anchors rest at the bow area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJl7d6DEMAc

For day three it was better but over cast so we went out anyway! Our first dive of the day was the E.B. Allen a schooner that went down in 1871 this wreck is very very sweet to see at 102 ft and 134 ft long. she sit upright and intact not much in the way of fixtures and fittings but the windlass is still in place. My wife and I had a great time and her regs worked after I pulled off the 2nd stage and she went to her octo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXYprmrRulA
Our last two dives for the trip were the Montana and Barge #1 both really good dives and I cant wait to get back next season to see more of the deeper more untouched wrecks but for my first time out this was one great trip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhrJf7UT_Y

For some reason I only just now found this thread. That was a great weekend of diving for sure. Looking forward to many more!

For some reason I only just now found this thread. That was a great weekend of diving for sure. Looking forward to many more!
Well I see how you are just now looking haha! We will tear it up again this summer buddy.

Back
Top Bottom