My Trilobite is Magnetic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandAdventurer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I keep a Trilobite attached to my compass bungee mount.. my compass has been acting funny underwater, deviating every so often or just being plain wrong.. So I figured out my Trilobite has somehow become magnetised and has been throwing off the compass. I used magnetic field detector app and the Trilobite is reading 60ut.

Not sure if keeping the Trilobite next to the compass has caused it to become magnetised or they are just naturally so.. so head up if you keep one near your compass!

Those are made from Stainless Steel right?

If so, some grades of SS are naturally magnetic.

Edit: according to their website they use 440a SS, which is like i mentioned above naturally magnetic.

I wear mine on the other side of my wrist on my perdix straps. I'll have to check the compass against my regular compass and see if it affects it.

Put the Trilobite on your waist belt (left).

I switched from trilobyte to "sharp-cut" a few years ago because I didn't want to keep replacing blades (or really, I didn't want to find I'd forgotten when I needed it). $18 and it's ceramic instead of metal blade: DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath (Select Color) | Dive Gear Express®

Are the blades interchangeable? I haven't needed mine yet but I'm getting sick of replacing blades just because they rust.

I wear mine on the other side of my wrist on my perdix straps. I'll have to check the compass against my regular compass and see if it affects it.

As do I, my compass a top hand, it has no noticeable effect, but my magnetic on/off light throws my compass into a wobbly.

37C2E8AC-6F82-4732-89E9-22FD39E10246.jpeg

Are the blades interchangeable? I haven't needed mine yet but I'm getting sick of replacing blades just because they rust.

They are not.

I coat my blades with silicone grease, soak after each dive and make sure pouch is dry, thus far they have held up well. Prior to to coating in grease I did have a few blades that rusted very quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom