My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it just seems like these things being said here, which are great, weren't said to them by bob in the class.

or were said, but were not heard.

Plus, you have to admit, it's FUN. I absolutely love a well-executed ascent, everybody marching smartly up through the stops in perfect formation (and watching Kevin play yo-yo with the SMB spool makes it even more fun!).

I never really gave much thought to the idea of being a "scuba nerd" before, but you're absolutely right. It's downright fun. I can just see the jeers of derision from the "lords of the tile" crowd, but performing a good, in-formation ascent at the end of the dive has always been a kind of a high-five moment for me. It's being with friends, working well together, and sharing the experience of the dive. It's a lot of the reason why I'm in the water!

by ANYONE?

maybe he said it during their 20 minutes in the water and they couldn't hear

I "liked" Lamont's post not because I believe his word over yours, but with all due respect to everyone in this thread, you, Jax, Lobzilla in particular, I think everyone here is honest enough to allow that there are at least two sides to every story. We've heard from two students who were disappointed because they felt (indeed, perhaps rightfully) that they did not receive full value for what they invested, But likely we will never hear the other side of the story. Short of stepping in to correct any technical inaccuracies ("the instructor advocated that we hold our breaths as much as possible on any ascent"), the instructor has not come on to debate the experience with his students (which I imagine is somewhat policy, and somewhat plain good sense). Without being there, and without the color of a biased participant (no judgment inferred with that label), how can one say that it wasn't said?

I also read no judgment in Lamont's post. "Were not heard" doesn't mean the students were too obstinate to listen. It could very well have been stated poorly or ineffectively by the instructor.

Reactions: Jax
TSandM made a most excellent summary post in her usual clear and measured way. There's really not much more that can be added to it, is there?

Was I disappointed? Yeah, okay. What would I say now to someone who asked about Fundies?

That I and perhaps others found it not to be all we were told, yeah. That doesn't paint it all with an ugly brush. There are too many people on this board, whose considered and well-thought opinions have become incredibly valuable to me, that cite far different experiences. While I might explain my situation, I will say it was ONE time. I would refer people to the NWGratefulDivers and TSandMs and LiteHeddeds for instructor referrals.

I thought I did it right, when I asked a group about class and an instructor. Perhaps it was too localized - too much friendship and not enough realistic opinion. I would recommend getting a wider base of opinion before you chose an instructor.

I did talk to my instructor, and he is an interesting person to talk to and has an enormous vault of stories to share. Perhaps I had too many expectations from studying the "Doing it Right" fundies manual, or from the tales volunteered by the fans? :idk: From the follow-on opinions here . . . I don't think my expectations were removed from the norm.

I cannot even advise "do your research", 'cause it didn't work for me. There are just too many people that learned wonderful things from their fundies class. Please take that away.

Remember, life functions on a normal ("Bell") curve . . . somebody has to be the outliers. Everything in this thread says that we were "it". Oh, well. Time to move on.

Besides . . . How can one walk away with all these marvelous people inviting you to dive with them, and say it wasn't worth it? :wink:

Just to clarify, I took the thumb as the command signal that it was. We weren't truly separated, in that looking up I could still see her light. We ascended to 65 feet, had a quick "conversation" about whether to continue and surface or return back to the bottom, agreed to continue the dive, and down we went. So the rules worked as they should have: an individual thumbed it and the team decided to rescind it once the situation was resolved.

Pretty much. I figured I fubared the descent to some extent by trying to do too much, lead since no-one else knew where they were or what to expect, keep everyone together, possibly arrive on the bottom a smidge early to run line if we weren't on the wreck etc. When that didn't work and we were 1/2way to a major with #3 about 20ft above us I thumbed it to halt the ambiguity. Would it have been better to "GUEEDGE" in full beforehand? Probably, but still might not have gotten #3 to flash harder when the ears acted up surprisingly close to the bottom.

Are these the things you're 'sorta' introduced to in GUE-F but "learn" in the real world (like the other class skills), I think so.

I also read no judgment in Lamont's post. "Were not heard" doesn't mean the students were too obstinate to listen. It could very well have been stated poorly or ineffectively by the instructor.

Yup, team failure. Instructor and the students, both, in all likelihood.

I know in my Fundies class with Bob, he said an awful lot of important stuff in those jam packed few days!
Everything was so new,and everyone was having different issues and problems, so I am sure that I missed almost as much as I retained, and were I to take the very same class (or even hear a tape of ours) I would be stunned to learn what I have missed!

Was I disappointed? Yeah, okay. What would I say now to someone who asked about Fundies?

That I and perhaps others found it not to be all we were told, yeah.

I Perhaps I had too many expectations from studying the "Doing it Right" fundies manual, or from the tales volunteered by the fans?

From the follow-on opinions here . . . I don't think my expectations were removed from the norm.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Reactions: Jax
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom