My very first attempt at UW Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,
Diving has suddenly become so interesting and exciting for me because I got to try my new GoPro underwater this vacation. :bee:
I have discovered a new hobby thats so much fun to capture and relive after the vacation is over.

Gear:
GoPro Hero 3+
UKPro HD39 Monopole
ZGear monopole light mount
SRP Blurfix SO URPRO CYD filter
Brinyte DIV01 video light

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

edit at op's request

[video=vimeo;117111301]http://vimeo.com/117111301[/video]

I hope you enjoy the brief 2 min dive logging video. Your feedback and comments to improve my video technique are welcome.
(The music video best enjoyed with headphones or punchy speakers).

Thanks for watching.
Cheers
Pearlman

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great , well done and thanks for sharing. You are so lucky to line in Asia near such awesome diving.

How deep where you - did you use a red filter and what fps did you set it on?
Thanks - looks good.

This dive was less than 19m. I used an SRP CYD blurfix filter. Frame rate 60fps but selected max 30fps in iMovie.

Thanks Brinyte -I didn't know you are on this forum too. :)

Cheers

Sent from Tablet, please excuse brevity and typos...

Nice!
Did you shoot in medium FOV and use the light for all the video? Just asking because I was wondering if a single light would cover the entire FOV of the camera.

Nice!
Did you shoot in medium FOV and use the light for all the video? Just asking because I was wondering if a single light would cover the entire FOV of the camera.
Hi Riedkon,
Wide. The light has a 120° beam. It was on at least 50% of the time. Since this was my first time with the gear I am still experimenting. I have discovered that in murky waters the suspended particles all light up and glow creating a "snowy" image like a bad television signal and hence it is best to keep the lights off in such conditions.

P

Does the Brinyte have a diffuser? I own a Brinyte DIV05 which I like but this is my dive light. For video I opted for a more diffuse lamp (archon D11V).

The DIV05 is a little to white (cool) to give the real colors back imo.

To prevent the "snowy" image you should use 2 lights and space them. That way the snowflakes right in front of the camera do not get lit up. (atleast, that is what everyone says. I have to try next month)

Hi Riedkon,
Wide. The light has a 120° beam. It was on at least 50% of the time. Since this was my first time with the gear I am still experimenting. I have discovered that in murky waters the suspended particles all light up and glow creating a "snowy" image like a bad television signal and hence it is best to keep the lights off in such conditions.

P

AKA, backscatter. It comes from having the light too close to the camera lens. This is why a tray with arms to move the lights away from the lens is preferable when using lights.
I have a pole and a tray but no lights yet. I will use them with my new camera for the first time in Bonaire in March and will not use a light this trip. If the quality is not up snuff I will buy arms and at least one light for the next trip.

AKA, backscatter. It comes from having the light too close to the camera lens. This is why a tray with arms to move the lights away from the lens is preferable when using lights.
I have a pole and a tray but no lights yet. I will use them with my new camera for the first time in Bonaire in March and will not use a light this trip. If the quality is not up snuff I will buy arms and at least one light for the next trip.
I just learnt something, Thanks! I looked it up and now I realize avoiding backscatter is near impossible with the ZGear light mount. I see no choice but place the light parallel to the direction I am shooting in. :(

P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom