My wife's and my primary regs both freeflowed at same time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't it seem odd, that both regs freeflowed at same time?

I get the sand issue but still seems odd that it happened same time. I'd have thought there'd be a bit of a difference in timing.

I get the sand issue but still seems odd that it happened same time. I'd have thought there'd be a bit of a difference in timing.
You may be reading too much into "same time." Same time down to the split second? Within a few seconds of each other? 15-20 seconds apart?
But more importantly, even if they both started at exactly the same time, I can't even begin to imagine any hidden cause that would make that more than a coincidence. Most likely they both got bounced by the same wave and started the venturi effect free flow. Octos are probably tuned differently, making them harder to start flowing. The octos also may have been held differently, didn't hit the water the same way, had their mouthpieces pointed down instead of up, etc...

Yeah, the sand inside certainly doesn't help and may have been part of the issue, but since the OP had not previously experience or even heard of a "pre-dive" free flow from the venturi effect and tried purging to stop the flow rather than restricting the flow, I don't see any major mystery here.

You may be reading too much into "same time." Same time down to the split second? Within a few seconds of each other? 15-20 seconds apart?
But more importantly, even if they both started at exactly the same time, I can't even begin to imagine any hidden cause that would make that more than a coincidence. Most likely they both got bounced by the same wave and started the venturi effect free flow. Octos are probably tuned differently, making them harder to start flowing. The octos also may have been held differently, didn't hit the water the same way, had their mouthpieces pointed down instead of up, etc...

Yeah, the sand inside certainly doesn't help and may have been part of the issue, but since the OP had not previously experience or even heard of a "pre-dive" free flow from the venturi effect and tried purging to stop the flow rather than restricting the flow, I don't see any major mystery here.

Got it, thanks

It’s actually not odd at all. Both of your dragging regs were hit by water filled with sand and debris at the same time. They both got clogged up and free flowed.

It’s actually not odd at all. Both of yo it dragging regs were hit by water filled with sand and debris at the same time. They both got clogged up and free flowed.

That appears to be the consensus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom