My Worthington E14157 failing hydro - what do I do now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There are great many equipment related and other issues that have amassed hundreds of pages of extremely knowledgeable discussion here on Scubaboard, with one tiny problem - this knowledge is usually discovered by people like me just a little too late :(. One of such issues is a well documented (apparently) issue of hot-dip galvanized Worthington tanks manufactured under permit E14157 failing hydrostatic tests due to expansion issues.

My story is as simple (and as stupid) as they come. I found one good looking Worthington 80cf 3442psi cylinder on craigslist and bought it cheap. Of course, up until today, I was completely unaware of all the issues these tanks have been having with hydros or the special procedures recommended by manufacturer (pressurizing to 89% of test pressure twice, I believe it is also called "rounding up"). The tank was "born" in 2006 and never hydrotested at least officially (i.e. had no other hydro stamps) after it's birth date. I decided to bring it to a local fire shop as opposed to my LDS (stupid, stupid decision). The three reasons - it's a little cheaper, a little closer, and I have two other tanks that need viz but not hydro, so I wanted to bring this one to the same state before dropping all three at LDS for viz and fills. Stupid me :banghead:.

So, surely enough, the fire place failed the test and permanently marked the tank as condemned. They gave me a printout of DOT-SP 14157 in addition to the test results, but there is no evidence of course that they followed this recommended procedure. In fact I'm 100% sure they didn't. So the tank now is screwed (see picture).

Within minutes of getting online, I found quite a few threads here, such as this or this, covering the issue at length, but most of them go back to 2010-2011 time frame when the testing approach apparently shifted from permanent expansion to REE, so they focus mostly on that and obviously don't cover more recent developments.

So, can anyone be so kind as to summarize briefly:
  1. Today in 2019, do I have any recourse for my issue? For instance, have there been any cases of XS Scuba or Worthington recalling these tanks or something along those lines?
  2. In the future, do I need to do an extensive research on any tank I decide to bring for hydro to find any possible recommended procedures such as this "rounding up" nonsense and demand a written statement from the shop that they'll follow them, or can I rely on the LDS knowing this stuff and sort of being a middle man for me (they don't do hydros themselves)?
  3. Is there any point in arguing with the fire shop about what THEY did wrong?
  4. Is the tank completely worthless now?
P.S. Anyone getting ready to bring a used steel tank to a hydro - feel free to learn from my mistake and do your homework BEFORE you haul your precious cylinders to a facility of your choice...

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 454
Your uses for the tank don't involve holding compressed air. Sell as scrap metal, make into a lamp, or make into a bell.

Buying used, I'm not sure you have any recourse against the manufacturer. Maybe the seller. Maybe the fire shop.

What do you mean by fire shop? Fire extinguisher company? Or something connected with a fire department?

The only recourse, other than moving on, is to have the trank retested by another hydro shop using the proper procedure, if it passes go after the tester for a new tank.

Bob

Your uses for the tank don't involve holding compressed air. Sell as scrap metal, make into a lamp, or make into a bell.

I was thinking about a bell actually. To be rang daily at noon to celebrate my stupidity.

What do you mean by fire shop? Fire extinguisher company? Or something connected with a fire department?

Massachusetts Fire Technologies | 800.244.6769 – Fire extinguishers and fire suppression systems. Restaurants, gas stations, industrial. Fire protection equipment. 24/7 service.

A fire equipment servicing company, but they told me explicitly they test scuba tanks.

As long as they used the correct TP (5250 psi) and the correct rejection criteria (REE) then the failure is valid.

They do not have to follow recommendations.

Sometimes tanks just fail. What were the test results?

The only recourse, other than moving on, is to have the trank retested by another hydro shop using the proper procedure, if it passes go after the tester for a new tank.

Bob
The permit stamps are marked out. No hydro shop should be willing to test it.

As for your questions -
1) no
2) no
3) you can ask if they verified no leaks
4) might be worth scrap money

Sometimes tanks just fail. What were the test results?

61.5 (I believe) on REE test instead of 59.5. Don't have that in front of me right now.

Couldn't even answer my question of what are the units of measure for these numbers... Pretty mad at them and myself right now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom