Myrtle Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be traveling to Myrtle Beach in about a month for vacation and want to do some diving. I will be doing my first open water dive since my certification. I was checking around with the LDS's and one of them offer these trips for that week I will be there.

They are as follows:
1) Bill Perry 50-60 ft depth 30-60 ft viz
2)Bruce Rush Reef 35-45 ft depth 15-20 ft viz (were cert dives are done)
3)City of Richmond 35-65 ft depth and 30-50 ft

Does anyone know if any of these sites are better suited for newer divers based on experiences from past dives to the site. Any info would be helpful.

I dived Myrtle Beach about 2 years ago. I went with Express Watersports Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, Parasail, Kayak & dolphin watch & Ocean Sightseeing, Banana Boat And jet skis in Myrtle Beach South Carolina - Myrtle beach scuba Dive and highly recommend them.

I dived the Bill Perry, Tugboat/Airplane, and Goldfinch Reef. I can't comment on the suitability of the other sites you mentioned, but I felt that all of these wrecks would be suitable for newer divers, in good conditions. We had about 20 ft. viz on Bill Perry, 30 ft. viz on Tugboat, and 5 ft. viz on Goldfinch. Of those 3, I felt the Tugboat was the easiest of the 3 to dive. The dive op also had students on the Perry and Tugboat dives, so that should give you an indication.

The good thing about wrecks is that as long as you stay on the wreck, you pretty much can't get lost and can always see something. Stay within your maximum depth for your certification level and dive within your own personal limits.

Whatever Op you decide to go with, I would make these recommendations:
1. Take a scuba review course to freshen up your skills if you've been out of the water for several months or dive less than 10 dives a year.
2. Be up front with the dive operation when booking and with the crew when boarding the boat in reference to your dive experience and comfort level.
3. Rent the services of a divemaster guide if you feel you need it, or at least ask to buddy with a DM or more experienced diver.
4. Book your dives early in your trip. Weather conditions change and one of my dive days got scrubbed when I was there. Planning to dive earlier in the week will allow for make up days later if needed.
5. In reference to the sites, nothing is certain except for the depths. Temperatures, currents, and visibility change. The posted viz is the normal range, but I experienced below average viz during my dives.
6. Don't be afraid to not dive or to end the dive if anything does not feel right to you.
7. Book early. Summer is the busy season and boats fill up fast.
8. If you are even remotely prone to motion sickness-take whatever remedy works for you. On each of the dives I did, 4-5 people got sick. I came close one day and I've never been seasick ever. For me, snacking on cookies or chips on the way out seemed to work well.

Have fun and post a trip report when you get back. Feel free to post or PM me if you have other questions or want more info.

Last edited:
I only now of two dive ops. Express water sports which is in Murels inlet depending on where you are, it's closer to "Myrtle Beach" unless your in North Myrtle Coastal scuba is at Little River in North Carolina. Coastal is about one hour from Myrtle beach. Express is about 20 min. I dove with Coastal a few years back. They were a good op. I've been to Express, but never got to dive. Weather and family obligations kept me out of the water, diving that is, but they seem like a well run organization. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I has also been told shore diving is usless. From going to the beach several years I'd have to agree.

The City of Richmond is the best dive. It has the best vis on average and has the most life. Lots of nice amberjacks and a few nice sandtigers. The best vis for the depth around, I always take my son to that wreck.

I just got back from a trip with Express Water Sports out of Murrell's Inlet. The only day they had any openings while we were there was for the Goldfinch Ledges. Did a two tank dive trip with them to the Ledges on the 13th of July. It was nice dive and the Dive Op was great. I would go with them again any day, except that the cost to dive in the Carolina's is so prohibitive in comparison to the Keys.

Lots of life in and around the reef. Viz was not bad and once again the dive op was really great.

Your other options are going to be the shipwrecks Sherman, Governor, and Barracuda Alley through Coastal Scuba (North Myrtle Beach). Express Water Sports and Coastal Scuba are going to be your shops. Express has a number of "inshore" (approx 60 feet of seawater) dives.

Topside view of the "Scuba Express" dive boat. Approximately 45 feet long. Duel diesel engines. Second story bridge. Lot of railing. Duel ladders (fins off). Rear dive platform. Cooler. Water. Head. Pilot house. Unique tank holders (no bungies). Spear fishing allowed. Bow flat deck for lounging. Helpful dive masters. Excellent operation overall.

Express Water Sports Dive Shop - Murrels Inlet SC

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I am going with Express. I have a refresher course with them on Sunday and they told me I could just book the dive then. Will post a trip report when I return.

Hey al,
I'm with Scuba Express. We look forward to seeing you next week. Give the shop a call to confirm your refresher though.

Karla, I have a 13-year old son who got his OW in April in Mexico. We'll be in Myrtle Beach August 21-28, and he is eager to dive. Can he go for a dive with your shop? What dive would you recommend then? Will there be an adult instructor/dive master underwater with him? I'll be very greatful for any info.

Back
Top Bottom