Mysid shrimp on doctors, surgeons and tangs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon once bubbled...

Actually many isopods are blood suckers and some types will kill a fish in hours!
And some of them grow quite large too: giant isopod !

The good part is that these large ones only live a few thousand feet deep.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

That is really gross!

Saw one of those monster isopods on "Science of the Deep" (Science Channel) - totally grossed me out! I have a deathly fear of insects on land, and my husband always teases me about how I don't seem to be bothered by insect-like ocean critters (lobsters, shrimp, etc). To me, they're nothing like bugs.

But THAT thing... yuck. Just makes me think of a gigantic cockroach. I think I'd completely lose it if I even bumped into a smallish one underwater!

(Please tell me that giant one in the photo was also from the super-deep, ie, NON-DIVEABLE, part of the ocean!)

Wow, that's why you don't see many old, lazy or injured sea creatures... you just can't let your guard down when just about everything you bump into would take a bite given the opportunity.

Kinda like commercial real estate lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom