Mysterious Dive Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaximumDive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone heard of the Great Lakes Dive Company out of the state of Michigan? They claim to have found an old U.S. Air Force jet in Canadian Waters, that dissappeared over Lake Superior in 1953 and is supposedly sitting in over 500 feet of water. They supposedly used a modified Side Scan Sonar called the Sharc2 and ROV to locate the plane.

They also claim to be forming an expedition to film the Gunilda in High Definition, similar to the Titanic.

Other than their web site I can't seem to locate any other information about them. They operate under the name Great Lakes Dive Company, but may have a different parent company name. You can read about them at www.greatlakesdive.com .

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=72668

interesting. I have not heard of them before.

I am trying to find out if they are a legitimate company (divers and engineers) or not or just someone perpetrating a hoax.

If you have heard anything about someone finding this Air Force jet or filming the Gunilda, please let me know. No clue is too small.

Thanks

I know nothing of them but there was a B-52 on the bottom from which the bombs were recovered. Lee Somers writes:

A good supervisor can “read” the diver’s breathing pattern and voice to gain insight into the diver’s physical and mental status. I learned the true significance of managing a dive/diver from the surface from Dr. Joe McInnis by observing him at a dive control station. Two divers were deployed in a bell to 250 feet on a B-52 crash site in Lake Michigan. One diver remained in the bell to tend the umbilical while the other deployed to identify meaningful wreckage and rig it for lifting. The diver transmitted video images to U. S. Air Force personnel on the ship in order to identify wreckage to be retrieved. The diver’s breathing rate and strained voice suggested over-exertion, possibly to a dangerous level. Attempting to complete the laborious task before his time limit expired, the diver did not heed Joe’s order to stop and ventilate. In a calm voice Joe requested the diver to immediately return to the bell and ask the tender to haul him in. The dive team got the message and obeyed. By “reading the diver” and controlling the dive from the surface, a possibly bad outcome was thwarted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom