N.E. Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I have been diving for a little over 2 years now. The majority of my diving has been done in the carribean and Florida. I did dive in Rockport MA and really did not enjoy it due to the terrible visibility. Can anyone tell me some good N.E. dive sites?

:scubadive Thanks :scubadive

What do you want to see??? Which state??? Boat or Shore dive??? Some of my favorite NE dive sites include: the wreck of the U-853, the wreck of the Chester poling, Magnolia Rocks (shore dive), Saturday Night Ledge, Old Garden Beach, Lane's Cove, VT Quarry known by many names.

Some of the more popular sites in Rockport and Gloucester, MA, can be found on www.capeanndivers.com.

ScubaFrog:
I did dive in Rockport MA and really did not enjoy it due to the terrible visibility.

:scubadive Thanks :scubadive

Ummm.... what exactly did you expect for vis? :wink: The average up here is 10-15'. If that's acceptable, there are lots of great places but you need to be a bit more specific in order for us to help. Boat/Shore/Deep/Lobster/Wreck etc....

LUBOLD8431:
What do you want to see??? Which state??? Boat or Shore dive??? Some of my favorite NE dive sites include: the wreck of the U-853, the wreck of the Chester poling, Magnolia Rocks (shore dive), Saturday Night Ledge, Old Garden Beach, Lane's Cove, VT Quarry known by many names.

Some of the more popular sites in Rockport and Gloucester, MA, can be found on www.capeanndivers.com.

I am looking for shore dives in the Ma area. Thanks for the link for popular sites in Rockport and Gloucester.

decapoddiver:
Ummm.... what exactly did you expect for vis? :wink: The average up here is 10-15'. If that's acceptable, there are lots of great places but you need to be a bit more specific in order for us to help. Boat/Shore/Deep/Lobster/Wreck etc....

10 - 15 is acceptable and I do realize that it nothing will compare to the Carribean waters. I would like to find some great diving sites around MA or NH so that I may dive in the summer months.

ScubaFrog:
10 - 15 is acceptable and I do realize that it nothing will compare to the Carribean waters. I would like to find some great diving sites around MA or NH so that I may dive in the summer months.

The best shore sites in New England would be up around Cape Ann (although some may disagree :wink: ). You get the best variety there in terms of underwater terrain. Vis will vary. I've had dives on cape ann with vis as bad as 3-4ft and as good as 25-30. My favorite sites up there are probably Cathedral & Folly Cove, but both can be tough entries/exits at low tide. Halibut Point is a very nice dive, but it's a ***** to get to - a 1/4mi hike along some trails out to the divesite from where you park (which turns into about 1/2mi on the way back :D ). Old Garden is great for low tide entries (it's a sandy beach). It's a nice easy dive site, fairly shallow, but still with some nice rocky reefs and plenty of marine life. Lots of other good sites, I'm sure others will pitch in with their favorites as well.

-Roman.

I know you asked for shore dive info, but I just thought that I'd mention that the best vis I've seen in the ocean around here has been boat dives on the south shore. I've seen 40+ at both the Pinthis wreck and Minot's Ledge, but have occasionally seen 30' or so at Cathedral rock. I remember Halibut point being good vis too, but good luck hiking out there for a shore dive... I hear it's a real PITA.

I like Nubble Light in York, ME (on the border of NH).

A good dive site depends on the weather conditions (and wind direction) on the day you dive and a few days prior. Cape Ann is really nice because there are sites all around that face different wind directions.

RI has a lot of great dive sites also: Kings Beach, Fort Weatherall, Green Bridge. I am not as familiar with them as with Cape Ann and Nubble Light. Most RI sites that I know of face the S so you want to avoid them during days with Southern winds. I like to dive RI in Sept-Oct to catch the jouvenile Carribean fish.

Hope this helps.

notabob:
The best shore sites in New England would be up around Cape Ann (although some may disagree :wink: ). .

The best shore dives in New England by far are in Eastport Maine. But considering the long drive, Cape Ann will have to do most of the time.

Ralph

Yeah... Eastport rocks. Too bad it's such a hike, but then again it's remoteness is part of the reason it's so nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom