NACD Instructor standards violation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure that returning Larry Green to Training Director will solve everything.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Interesting, this is at least the second time I am reading this? So I have to ask; Who said anything about or lead someone to believe that Larry Green is becoming the TD again?

I don't recall making a decision (re-)appointing Larry Green as TD?

In accordance with (IAW) NACD by-laws(current version 2013 available on-line for public viewing) I, the president, am suppose to appoint the TD. I guess I am being derelict in my duties, I haven't done that yet?

News flash: The new TD will come from within the "new" Training Committee members. Oh BTW those team members are working on the RB, and a few other programs.

ps. A Little bird tells me it will not be Larry

Attachments

• TD.jpg
    TD.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 912
My comment was pure sarcasm, Rick. But I am reserving any judgement until I actually see what happens next. You can not deny that the organization has been tripping over itself more than a comfortable amount.

It's my understanding that this standard violation was Rob teaching an intro to cave diver trimix in lower orange grove. This has been a rumor for at least close to two years. I wasn't there and won't guess if its valid or not.

Seems odd that it's randomly looked into after so long. Part of me wonders if it's more personal conflict than enforcing standards.

That is interesting.

I checked the 2014 NACD standards. The intro class has a "limit" of 100', the full cave class has a 130' limit.
However the standards are very much unclear about whether the term "limits" only applies to training, or as post certification limits too.

And if theses limits do apply to certified divers, as they would need to in this case, how can a full cave certified diver ever do a Trimix class in the first place?

Rick, can you enlighten us on how this example James quoted would technically break standards?

I thought those allegations were investigated by the CDS 2 years ago and dismissed?

Sent via

May 2013 a formal, written complaint was sent to the training chairman. He assigned a committee to investigate. The complainant could not provide the identities of anyone who witnessed the alleged violations. All we had was hearsay.

The "case" stayed open and active for a couple of months and the investigating committee never was provided with the names of the students or any witnesses. The complainant kept promising us those names, but we never got them. The "case" was closed.

May 2013 a formal, written complaint was sent to the training chairman. He assigned a committee to investigate. The complainant could not provide the identities of anyone who witnessed the alleged violations. All we had was hearsay.

The "case" stayed open and active for a couple of months and the investigating committee never got the names of the students or any witnesses. The "case" was closed.
I thought the students were known, they simply said they didn't want to get involved with an investigation?

I thought the students were known, they simply said they didn't want to get involved with an investigation?

They were known, but not to the NSS-CDS, only to the complainant. He refused to provide us the names until he could convince them to participate and support the allegations. Anyway...this is how I remember it.

The new TD will come from within the "new" Training Committee members. Oh BTW those team members are working on the RB, and a few other programs.

Could you let us know who the members of the training committee are as of today?

Also I am very curious where the limitations of the intro certification are defined.
I checked the standards again today. they are definitely not in there. I think someone must have forgotten them?

They were known, but not to the NSS-CDS, only to the complainant. He refused to provide us the names until he could convince them to participate and support the allegations. Anyway...this is how I remember it.
What I have an issue with allegations like this is that one person making claims doesn't mean it ever even happened. It could have occurred and it could just be some one with a personal axe to grind. This is my biggest concern when balancing addressing a real violation that needs action against someone's reputation. It should not be based upon hearsay and rumors.

Sent via

Also I am very curious where the limitations of the intro certification are defined.
I checked the standards again today. they are definitely not in there. I think someone must have forgotten them?

This is very interesting, Oliver, and a continuation of our conversation earlier. My IANTD and PSAI Intro Cards say "Max Depth 100ft (130?), No decompression." My Full Cave card from PSAI says "Max END 130ft" and doesn't really continue on from there. Clearly that would allow Trimix in a cave (not that it certifies me for Trimix). Max DEPTH of 130ft would allow 'Mix, but it'd be a smidgeon wasted....which is what the NACD standards Rick posted earlier seem to indicate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom