• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

NACD Instructor standards violation

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by GDI, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

The reason I ask is that the only way to sort this out is to get some person, somewhere, someone, to gather the proxies of the members. Once the proxies are gathered, a meeting of the members can be called to elect a BOD, then fix the status as a non profit (this will take years. I'm going through it now, and it's costing thousands, more than the $7k I hear are in the accounts), then recreate the member lists, but no money may be donated or spent until the application for non-profit status and an emergency declaration is submitted to the IRS.

It may be easier to start over.

2. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Therein lies the problem. Enough people have tried and been . . . . dissed? threatened by the lawyer? overburdened with secret squirrel requirements? . . . that no one really want to try any more. No one trusts the 'old guard', and all the finger-pointing and flame-throwing have dampened the spirits of just about everyone. However, we just love watching the train wreck.

3. Wookie

Especially one that just keeps giving and giving and giving. Kinda like the 2016 elections.

Jax likes this.
  4. Jax

So a question for you, @Wookie ;

At what point IS the organization dissolved? At what point do you just say, go away?

After my brief foray into the org, I determined several things:

One, the framework - the ByLaws - suck. There is no strong foundation. Some paragraphs counter other parts, and some are so inflexible as to be stupid. Without a solid, clear, foundation, the whole organization is rickety.

Two, the culture sucks - the not-invented-here-syndrome. I urged my committee (ByLaws) to go for the low-hanging fruit, the points that needed changing and no one would argue. Example, that the Bod could notify members of announcements and meeting minutes by any appropriate means, including but not limited to email, web posting, etc. (currently, only USPS mail is appropriate). I pulled the various bylaws from organizations on base, because I knew they were vetted by lawyers. They were, I am told, submitted to the BoD. Not a thing was done. Nothing. On such insignificant yet important points.

So . . . IMO, the members have thrown up their hands in disgust. What now?

5. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Well, no, we actually know when the 2016 elections will be dead and finished. This NACD thing is more like a Zombie.

BabyDuck and Jax like this.
  6. Wookie

I'm not a lawyer, and nothing I say.....

First of all, the IRS changed the rules for non-profit corps a couple of years ago in a crackdown to limit people using them. A NP must be a corporation in good standing with the State of Incorporation. Any active NP must have a dissolution plan, and an automatic trigger as to when the dissolution plan is engaged. The IRS says that all present NPs have to go through this process of making this a part of their by-laws. The dissolution plan includes what to do with the money and assets. In the case of the dissolution of NACD, the logical choice would be to give it all to CDS, it has to go to another non-profit. Id guess if no one is filing returns, they probably aren't keeping up with by-laws, either....

Jax likes this.
  7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Frank has my vote (I have no idea if I'm still a member or not, and I guess no one else knows either.) for the next President of the NACD. Sorry, Frank, nothing personal.

Jax and The Chairman like this.
  8. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    @Wookie

A vote for Frank is a frank vote!

Be a Frankophile, not a Frankophobe!

FrankPres.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    shoredivr, Texas Torpedo and Wookie like this.
  9. Wookie

I think you have to be a cave instructor. I'm skeered of caves.

10. Jax

I think that's a stupid standard, anyway. I'd rather have someone who understand how to run things. IMO.