Name 1 Scuba-related Thing You've Done Which No One Else Has

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite all time dive and rather unique was in 2007 on the Big Island, Hawaii. I was diving solo, in shallow water, when a young Hawaiian monk seal approached and was quite friendly. She played with me as seals do, swimming close, I had to back up to try to get pictures. Before long she started holding my arm with her fin. She was attracted to me and I to her. Eventually I figured I better head back to shore. As I snorkeled in, I could feel her riding on my back the whole way. It was a long swim; I was quite far out. When I got in shallow, I sat and she played around me. My husband was on shore and got videos. A dive I will never forget. As they say, no pictures it didn't happen, here's the evidence:

P8090172_exposure.JPG

monk seal from video 1.png

Reminds me of Quint and Hooper in Jaws.
1) Me and my instructor friend were teaching the son (17 Y/O) of the father we had certified before. Just the pool session. We had all checked the weather in the area and it showed some activity about 26-40 miles south of us. Father was on the pool deck, instructor, student and I in the water. We were doing demo and return demo of skills when, during a mask flood and clear I noticed a flash. We started to head out STAT. As soon as we got to the surface we were in full blown thunderstorm! Instructor and student got out and I was close behind. Other two were wearing booties and I was bare footed. As soon as my feet hit the concrete as I grabbed the exit rail I was hit hard by a lighting strike and knocked several feet away onto the concrete. Other that scaring the hell out of me and the others and bleeding from both ankles and one knee I was okay.
2) I had an out of body experience near drowning in the quarry at about 60'.

I dived with a guy who was using a camel back drink bag for a BC, a pencil case hanging around his neck for a weight pouch, a reg that is over 40 years old, tanks hanging from short lengths of twine, and all of it held together with shoe laces.

This was last week and we had an awesome time. 90 minutes max depth 90 ft. Light deco.

Had departed from the wreck solo and had run a line out to a place that was supposed to have teeth. Was coming back a couple feed off the bottom slowly reeling in the line and watching carefully to make sure it was not getting tangled. Ran head first right into the side of a large female sand tiger. Learned to be more alert.

I was up in Port Hardy, diving a location called Hussar Point. Found an octopus den, and managed to coax him/her out of the den. Soon the octopus was sitting on the palm of my hand. As the octopus became more curious, it started to wrap its arms around my mask, regs, and hoses. As quick as I could peel one arm off, another one would replace it. I finally had to "biff" the octopus to get it off and away from me. :eek:

I recently watched a video of an octopus encounter that occurred at Dillon Rock, which isn't too far from Hussar Point. This octopus was much more "enamored" with the diver than the one I had the encounter with. Enjoy the video https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/animals/giant-pacific-octopus-totally-engulfs-scuba-diver/vi-AAuLJ8h.

At our local dive sites on mid Vancouver Island, we know where most of the main octopus dens
are located. I took a friend down to one of the dens to show her the octopus. Well the octopus came right out, and sat on her head. It stayed there for a couple of minutes, and just as quickly went back into the den. She envisioned the octopus boring through her hood, and drilling a hole in her head. o_O

Divegoose

Disappeared inside the earth diving an active subsea volcanic vent - I discovered I was small enough to fit inside there .... epic and warm.
Iceland??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom