Name 1 Scuba-related Thing You've Done Which No One Else Has

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was this in Cozumel with a person from another planet and another time that had Jesus blood flowing through his veins? I know that guy and you caught him on a rather mainstream kind of day. He wasn't diving the rebreather he built from hardware store parts was he?

Ok I'm not the only one to experience this form of dumpster diving.
You mean the rebreather he made from an old hoover vacuum canister and hoses with the frame made of angle iron?
Yeah he dove that on our first dive together.
Good times!
What can I say other than: Kindred Spirits

Head on missed-by-THAT-much almost-collision with a 25ft whale shark in La Paz. Almost pulled off an involuntary Warhammer.

Wanna hear a grown man scream into a snorkel? Listen to the first 10 seconds of the video with sound.

I thought I was chasing it after we spotted it from the boat and jumped in - the captain was yelling at us to swim as fast as we could. Viz was not great as we were pretty shallow and the water was chock full of nutrients. Yeah, so basically I was expecting to barely catch up to it and maybe glimpse a tail; not have it practically swim into me.

I warded off a seal's inappropriate touching by laughing in its face.

Actually my first dive after OW, ~15 years ago. Shore dive at McAbee Beach, Monterey, CA. Poor viz, so we could barely notice seals swimming around us, and they were constantly sneak attacking our fins.

So I felt something on top of me. Turned my head around and I was face to face with a harbor seal. If not for my tank, it would have been inappropriate touching on its part.

It looked so goofy, I just busted out laughing. The bubbles must have startled it, b/c it immediately took off. I actually didn't mind the freak-on-me activity of the seal, now I regret the laughter.

During a night dive where thunderstorms where expected we saw 'lighting'. Maybe it is a good idea to look if it is really thundering and then go out asap (it was a lake, so you could get out where you want and then walk back to the car). We came up and saw 2 completely naked people, a boy and a girl. They saw our divelights and where making pictures of it and used the blitz of their camera. When we came up we completely blinded them naked with our lights. They could not hide. It was soooo funny. But we did'n't expect 2 people there.

Cool thread concept, OP !! :thumb:
I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone completely lost divers in a cave system, and had to go back in and find them, while in mortal fear that you were responsible for their deaths, and were probably going to be prosecuted for murder, in a 3rd world country?
Back around '03 or so, while working in Cozumel (for the previous 10 years), I got lassoed into helping guide a too-large group of too-inexperienced divers to the mainland for some cenote/cavern dives (we had a big bitch-fight about the whole ordeal on the dive boat the day before, as there was more to the story, but it was a done deal, and i was commited........and yes, we were cave certified).
The boss's favorite system for these things was Dos Ojos, and the route we took was well outside accepted "cavern" parameters.
I was the last guy in this group, and we'd run into a complete silt-out (as I recall, it was said that some snorkelers at one of the openings had kicked up a lot of silt, and it had drifted into an area we went through).
I knew this was "not good", as I couldn't see squat but the occasional splash of color from someone's fin off the tip of my nose, and I was already pissed off and stressing pretty hard.
We finally came into clear water, and my boss materializes in front of me, frantically signalling a bunch of incomprehesible stuff, so we all surface at one of the openings.
Turns out, we're missing 4 f-ing divers !! One of the guys in the group was a divemaster from Scandinavia somewhere, and he quickly said he he'd mind the group on the surface, and for us to take off.
Me and the boss went back in, and at one point I signalled for him to stop and cover his light, as I was doing.
We then peered into the darkness, and i spotted some dim light a ways away, and pointed. He handed me the clip from his safety reel, and took off. I clipped the reel onto the nearest line, then I started towards them myself.
Turns out the 4 guys were smart enough to just STOP, and got neutrally bouyant, and joined hands, and waited, rather than going looking for the way out (which could've easily turned this into a full-blown tragedy).
While the entire episode seemed like an eternity, it couldn't have been much longer than 5 minutes, but it was hands-down the scariest, most stressful few minutes of my life. :eek:

Last edited:
I found this while scootering in the St. Lawrence River. None of the divers I know, had seen it before.

Is this just at the downstream end of Brockville a ways out in the channel? Not as far downstream as the Three Sisters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom