Name 1 Scuba-related Thing You've Done Which No One Else Has

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost got fished up. We were on a shallow dive (maybe 15m) and someone fishing from shore cast his line in such a way that it came down across my back and got caught in the regulator. He started reeling me in. He probably thought he had caught the fish of his life....

I saw what was happening and wrapped my arm a couple of times around the line and pulled out my knife with the other hand and cut it. My buddy helped me get it untangled. I talked to the fisherman after the dive and apologized for cutting his line but explained that I didn't want to risk getting stabbed by the hook. He was a good sport about it and we parted on speaking terms.

R..

Last edited:
I almost got fished up. We were on a shallow dive (maybe 15m) and someone fishing from shore cast his line in such a way that it came down across my back and got caught in the regulator. He started reeling me in. He probably thought he had caught the fish of his life....

I saw what was happening and wrapped my arm a couple of times around the line and pulled out my knife with the other hand and cut it. My buddy helped me get it untangled. I talked to the fisherman after the dive and apologized for cutting his line but explained that I didn't want to risk getting stabbed by the hook. He was a good sport about it and we parted on speaking terms.

R..
Similarly, I was once nearly pulled to the surface by another dive boat trying to retrieve its dive flag. The boat has a spearfisherman in the water, and he had hooked his dive flag to the reef while he hunted. He had gotten very far from the flag (not allowed, BTW), surfaced, and was eventually retrieved by his dive boat. They needed to retrieve their flag, so they went to it and pulled to work it loose. When it did not pull loose quickly, they gunned the engines to rip it free from the reef.

The problem was, they had the wrong flag. When I felt the first tugging, I resisted, of course. When they gunned the engines, I decided that they were more likely to take me to the surface than I was likely to pull them down, so I let it go. If I had had the flag attached to me (very bad idea), I would have been on the surface riding in the boat wake in seconds.

I got hooked by fishermen once in New Jersey and once on the FL Panhandle. Both times I was able to get the hook out (was using only reef gloves).

Not proud of this, but as a slow learner I have never developed the need to urinate in any of my wetsuits. Never. Not even a little bit.

Lots of urges, but I stayed in control.

Hopefully this skillset will see me well in the coming years and postpone any dry land need for Depends?

I just remembered another first. While some of you may have had remora interactions, I bet none of you had a remora go back & forth over & over between you & your dive buddy for the entire end of your dive from depth to safety to surface. We were also newbies so had no idea what a remora was or what it was trying to do. We also confused the hell out of the DM later on trying to explain the "fish which looked like it had a flattened brain-like structure on its head."

Not proud of this, but as a slow learner I have never developed the need to urinate in any of my wetsuits. Never. Not even a little bit.

Lots of urges, but I stayed in control.

Hopefully this skillset will see me well in the coming years and postpone any dry land need for Depends?

Actually, holding in your pee can cause some serious issues: Watch: What Happens When You Hold in Your Pee?

now that I think about it, there was the squid incident. We were diving where squid and cuttlefish were laying eggs. I tried to stay as still as possible and inch my way into the action. I guess it worked because a squid that was laying eggs there suddenly came up and pecked on my head. I suspect it was thinking about laying an egg there. I don't think that having squid trying to lay eggs on your forehead happens a lot :D

R..

now that I think about it, there was the squid incident. We were diving where squid and cuttlefish were laying eggs. I tried to stay as still as possible and inch my way into the action. I guess it worked because a squid that was laying eggs there suddenly came up and pecked on my head. I suspect it was thinking about laying an egg there. I don't think that having squid trying to lay eggs on your forehead happens a lot :D

R..
Just like the book, “Horton Hears a Hoo” you would have had to keep still until baby squid hatched and then raised it as your own child.

Several years ago, I surfaced from a drift dive in Boynton Beach. While I was waiting for the boat to pick me up, a big turtle came up behind me and gave me a big "hug". It took some time and effort to disengage. All the folks on the boat thought it was hilarious, so did I, afterward.

I haven't thought of this incident for several years. Thanks to @NYCNaiad for starting this interestimg thread that jogged my memory :)

R..

:wink:So, are you an egg head then?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom