name this fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know this looks like the head of a wobbegong shark but something is off, like to tail. Big eyes. Odd mouth. Out in the sand.
upload_2019-12-20_8-48-18.png

A stargazer of some sort. Where you found it is always helpful, as is size.

Area?

Looks like Lophius piscatorius.

Sure is a monkfish. I’ve never seen one in the water. Yummy, but keep your appendages away from the bitey bits.

Definitely a monkfish, also known as a goosefish here in New England. They are quite plentiful and buttf*$@ing ugly. Huge mouths. A football will fit sideways in their heavily toothed mouth. Rows of teeth that curve backwards. They get pretty big, 3 feet or more. Not very good swimmers. Remind me of chickens, they swim up and drop back down to the bottom. Some of the dives we did off Chatham, Mass. had so many of them on the sea floor you didn’t dare set your foot down. Nothing worse than seeing one at night

Forgot to mention, there is a pretty good market for the meat in their tails which are quite thick. Pretty much available in most of the fish markets locally. For years was considered a “trash fish” but now that stocks of other fish are down it’s being promoted. Sold as Monk Tails.

Forgot to mention, there is a pretty good market for the meat in their tails which are quite thick. Pretty much available in most of the fish markets locally. For years was considered a “trash fish” but now that stocks of other fish are down it’s being promoted. Sold as Monk Tails.

I’ve heard it referred to poor man’s lobster in the past.

A stargazer of some sort. Where you found it is always helpful, as is size.
this was on instagram so not sure where it was shot, but glad you dont think its a wobegong either

Area?

Looks like Lophius piscatorius.
thanks it sure does. I saw it on instagram, son had never seen it before.

Definitely a monkfish, also known as a goosefish here in New England. They are quite plentiful and buttf*$@ing ugly. Huge mouths. A football will fit sideways in their heavily toothed mouth. Rows of teeth that curve backwards. They get pretty big, 3 feet or more. Not very good swimmers. Remind me of chickens, they swim up and drop back down to the bottom. Some of the dives we did off Chatham, Mass. had so many of them on the sea floor you didn’t dare set your foot down. Nothing worse than seeing one at night

for sure thanks, Im a warm water diver so had never seen this, came across it on Instagram site

Back
Top Bottom