Name this moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you ID this eel? He's the size of a spotted moray and was seen in Bonaire at about 45 feet. Saw a couple of these light colored eels. Is this a color variation of the spotted moray or something else?

eel1.jpg

Last edited:
Concur. Spotted.

Many fish show shading and color variations, some quite dramatic.

Concur. Spotted.

Many fish show shading and color variations, some quite dramatic.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I've seen several shades of the goldentail moray but never a spotted of this color.

Can you ID this eel? He's the size of a spotted moray and was seen in Bonaire at about 45 feet. Saw a couple of these light colored eels. Is this a color variation of the spotted moray or something else?

View attachment 100770

Most likely Spotted Moray. Bonaire has had a dramatic die off of all the larger eels, only on the east side. May be the same effluent problem causing that red algae you may have noticed.

Guess I'd pick "Ed"....:D

Are you sure Edwina wouldn't be more appropriate?

What is the scientific name? Is this related to the jeweled moray of the subtropical eastern Pacific? I guess I could look it up, but it's Sunday morning and I'm lazy today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom