Name your best or favorite wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive this wreck off LI NY about 5-6 times a year and it never got old. it is 110 ft deep and a 500 ft long WW1 armored cruiser. Visability ranged from 3-100ft depending on the day. It is turtled (upside down), but there were many entry points (very dangerous on this wreck do to size and it being upside down) and many artifacts adorn my walls from this wreck. It was a popular wreck, so some dives I would dive the sand and collect lost equipment. Wreck valley, there is really no better diving!

Favorite wreck of all time: Thistlegorm. Talk about value for nitrogen! Ship, motorbikes, trucks...and a locomotive!

Favorite local wrecks: City of Sheboygan and George Marsh (both in Lake Ontario.). Beautiful, haunting dives...ghostly wooden schooners. Favorite features: wheel on the Marsh, prism on the Sheboygan.

I used to dive this wreck off LI NY about 5-6 times a year and it never got old. it is 110 ft deep and a 500 ft long WW1 armored cruiser. Visability ranged from 3-100ft depending on the day. It is turtled (upside down), but there were many entry points (very dangerous on this wreck do to size and it being upside down) and many artifacts adorn my walls from this wreck. It was a popular wreck, so some dives I would dive the sand and collect lost equipment. Wreck valley, there is really no better diving!

Don't advertize your address, the SCUBA police will come for those artifacts as you are not supposed to take anything from this wreck.
Oh, BTW: it's the USS San Diego

Haven't read the whole thread, but the few pages I have read are a treasure trove.

Since somebody's already mentioned the Arabia near Tobermory, Ont, I'll mention the Forest City, a wooden freighter wrecked by running full speed into Bear's Rump Island near Tobermory in a dense fog in 1904. She's on a slope, what's left of the bow in 60 ft, stern at 150. The deeper you go, the more intact she gets.

Diver's Den

There's also the San Jacinto north of Tobermory, not frequently accessed due to its remote location.

http://www.diversden.ca/ds_jacinto.html

What, limited to one only?

Don't advertize your address, the SCUBA police will come for those artifacts as you are not supposed to take anything from this wreck.
Oh, BTW: it's the USS San Diego
I dove it 15-20 yrs ago and many artifacts were coming off the wreck at that time(and many others), including the "San Diego's" bronze screw that was sold as scrap. And the original name for the ship was the USS California. If you were refering to my spelling, sorry about that.:)

SS Del Norte off Vancouver Island, about 80 feet deep and 60 feet viz, just a great dive and it's off the beaten track

Difficult one. Best site I've visited in my very limited diving experience has been Giannis D in Egypt about two years ago . Brilliant holiday all round, although the food had dodgy side effects on a few people we stayed with.

Joint best was one of my first 'proper' dives with a mate back in 2003 Tenbel Alborada. Was single at the time and the divemaster (Sarah 'sid' Durden) was very patient and not to mention absolutely stunning! The dive was nice too. Sid, if you are reading this, thank you for putting up with us all! You are a saint! I'll probabaly get a slap from the wife if she reads this! :D

Close second was in Crete back in 1996. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place, but that dive started my love affair with wrecks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom