Nanaimo, British Columbia to get Boeing 737

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard that a Boeing 737 aircraft is being donated to, and will be a new addition to Nanaimo's artificial reef program.

regards; jbm

Interesting news, They are also getting an ocean going tug.

any more info about the plane,

I just became aware of the B737 donation today, and have no other details regarding when it will actually be deep-sixed.

As for the tug, it was my understanding that it was to be sent to the bottom this past summer. The people involved must have run into some hangs ups, or maybe funding problems.

If I hear any timetable details on the Boeing I will be sure to post them here.

regards; jbm

jbm once bubbled...
...As for the tug, it was my understanding that it was to be sent to the bottom this past summer. The people involved must have run into some hangs ups, or maybe funding problems.

If I hear any timetable details on the Boeing I will be sure to post them here.

Was the Tug supposed to be done by the BC Artifical Reef Society?

Yes, they bought it

AquaTec once bubbled...
Yes, they bought it

Bought it from the people that couldn't afford to sink it????

I'm just curious, they made no mention of it on their web site.

JeffG once bubbled...

Bought it from the people that couldn't afford to sink it????

I'm just curious, they made no mention of it on their web site.

here is an interesting story, consider it internet gosip as i have not confirmed any of it.

Regarding the Tug boat sinking

Originaly it was to be sunk in Howe Sound by the UNderwater Council of British Columbia. evedently the purchase and arangements had been made with the navy [this is a navy ocean going tug]

so the story goes that a guy walked into the place within the navy that you buy ships, and put down his dollar, supposadly representing himself as a UCBC member. [$1.00 was the purchase price]

but it turns out that the guy was actualy a member of the Nanaimo Divers Association. so it turns out that the city of Nanaimo ends up being the owner.

so many feel that it was a sneaky diseatfull way of obtaining this ship.

the atificail reef society will be the ones preping it and sinking it, supposedly. [i don't think they had anything to do with the so called wrong doing]
the next problem is that Nanaimo is allready in debt for the Cape Breton, and the Saskatchewan. so they do not have the credit or the money to sink this ship.....this is why i find the plane sinking interesting....

again this is information i recieved from the President of the UCBC and i have not verified it any furture than that..so take it as gosip

AquaTec once bubbled...

here is an interesting story, consider it internet gosip as i have not confirmed any of it.

Regarding the Tug boat sinking

so the story goes that a guy walked into the place within the navy that you buy ships, and put down his dollar, supposadly representing himself as a UCBC member. [$1.00 was the purchase price]

but it turns out that the guy was actualy a member of the Nanaimo Divers Association. .....

That is some ballsy way of getting a future dive site:D

I longingly remember the days when they used to fly 737's into most airports in BC hmmmm now Nanaimo is prop driven rattler like all of BC'c other smaller centers...how bout a real one to go with it eh :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom