Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just heard that the other body was recovered last night

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

No one out here today except us

I'm still having trouble processing the news that the diver who surfaced was out of gas. If you planned a 250 foot dive, there really is no way you should be out of gas -- or if you are, that you should have gotten there omitting enough deco to die immediately. Just doesn't make sense.

I'm still having trouble processing the news that the diver who surfaced was out of gas. If you planned a 250 foot dive, there really is no way you should be out of gas -- or if you are, that you should have gotten there omitting enough deco to die immediately. Just doesn't make sense.

If true, you're absolutely right- but these reports are often red herrings. The incident as described sounds very strange- but I don't want to speculate without some real information.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

I don't know anything about the divers involved but I do know enough about the dive charter operator to know they would be very unlikely to knowingly let someone do that type of dive off their boat without proper training and equipment.

Completely agree. They're a top-notch operation.

Unfortunately, Lynne, I'm not having trouble processing that at all. Remember the time we stopped in Nanaimo on our way to Port Hardy (the Curt Bowen trip) and I ran into someone I know? He and his friends were diving that wall to depths below 250 fsw ... on air ... using double 100's ... and without any plans for gas contingencies. They were basically diving solo. You may recall that my friend a few months later ran OOA in Elliot Bay at 200 fsw, and was seriously injured doing a CESA from that depth. He and his friends just dive that way ... they don't see anything wrong with it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This sounds eerily like the Cozumel accident, where one diver kept descending (narcosis) and the other went and got her.

How is the surviving diver? Must be rough.

Unfortunately, Lynne, I'm not having trouble processing that at all. Remember the time we stopped in Nanaimo on our way to Port Hardy (the Curt Bowen trip) and I ran into someone I know? He and his friends were diving that wall to depths below 250 fsw ... on air ... using double 100's ... and without any plans for gas contingencies. They were basically diving solo. You may recall that my friend a few months later ran OOA in Elliot Bay at 200 fsw, and was seriously injured doing a CESA from that depth. He and his friends just dive that way ... they don't see anything wrong with it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well- that guy is a fairly extreme example, you have to admit. He would sit on the dive boats and tell story after story about insane stuff he'd done (the one where he passed out at 250' on air and woke up at 50' in a hopelessly uncontrolled ascent, breached like a polaris missile, and somehow managed to go back down and do his deco was a favorite) and then moan about how hard it was to find tech diving buddies. But, of course, there have always been people pushing the limits for the thrill of seeing how deep they can go. I'm hoping that wasn't the case, here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Accomplished bad divers.....

Accomplished Bad Divers | Shadow Diver | John Chatterton

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

Well- that guy is a fairly extreme example, you have to admit. He would sit on the dive boats and tell story after story about insane stuff he'd done (the one where he passed out at 250' on air and woke up at 50' in a hopelessly uncontrolled ascent, breached like a polaris missile, and somehow managed to go back down and do his deco was a favorite) and then moan about how hard it was to find tech diving buddies. But, of course, there have always been people pushing the limits for the thrill of seeing how deep they can go. I'm hoping that wasn't the case, here.

Yeah and that's where as a boat operator you tell the individual to stow his gear because there's no way he's diving off your boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom