Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow what a huge bunch of speculation. If you know any facts about gas selection profile plans experience please share them

:huh:

You mean about that the dive is well below safe depth for air (per PPO2), where most are on trimix, and that they didn't have stages and deco bottles?

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 04:51 PM ----------

Multi-Deco says a five minute dive to 250, then back up (five min to descend), has a runtime of 20 minutes.

Gas required is 95 cuft. Sounds like a bounce dive. Sounds like Cozumel's bounce dive.

PPO2 at depth, on air, is 1.76. The narcosis would be darned near overpowering.

If true, you're absolutely right- but these reports are often red herrings. The incident as described sounds very strange- but I don't want to speculate without some real information.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

Completely agree. They're a top-notch operation.

Yeah, I read one article that seemed to say that the third diver went into arrest and nearly died. Another article just posted stated that the second diver who died was the one who surfaced and went into arrest due to DCS. When it sounded like nearly a triple fatality I was starting to assume single tank bounce diving. Now it sounds more like the second diver may have made some bad calls trying to save his buddy and put himself at too much risk.... but there really just isn't enough to go on...

Recent article says they went looking for him this morning, but the dive team can't operate that deep... I'm on phone so digging up the url is annoying tho...

All the news I'm reading is that the one person that held at 150/160 is okay

One diver dead, another missing after accident off island near Nanaimo; search did not resume today - News - Nanaimo Daily News :

One person is dead, one is missing and another is reportedly in good physical condition after a diving accident just before 3 p.m. Friday near Snake Island, close to the ferry terminal at Departure Bay.

Nanaimo RCMP confirmed late Friday that one person was dead, and one person — the only known survivor — was brought to shore and is in good condition.

You may recall that my friend a few months later ran OOA in Elliot Bay at 200 fsw, and was seriously injured doing a CESA from that depth. He and his friends just dive that way ... they don't see anything wrong with it. ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gods. A 200 foot CESA?

Search and Rescue Maritime co-ordinator Troy Haddock said the surviving diver was at a depth of 160 feet while the other two were diving at an "extreme depth of 250 feet."

This doesn't have a be a dumb bounce dive. They may have supposed to been training to 160, but one dropped, and the other team member went after him. A valiant, but tragic end.

This doesn't have a be a dumb bounce dive. They may have supposed to been training to 160, but one dropped, and the other team member went after him. A valiant, but tragic end.

So if this was a planned dive to 160 one would a) have a deco gas and b) have enough back gas to deco out on in the event of lost deco gas. To surface omitting deco and out of gas sounds like they had neither.

Only time will tell as we find out what there rig was...singles, doubles, deco bottles ect.

So if this was a planned dive to 160 one would a) have a deco gas and b) have enough back gas to deco out on in the event of lost deco gas. To surface omitting deco and out of gas sounds like they had neither.

Only time will tell as we find out what there rig was...singles, doubles, deco bottles ect.

Sometimes people dive and deco on backgas. Assuming doubles. If it was a short dive (12 min) they could do it on thirds of 200 cuft. 130 cuft

Edit: Just saying that if they were doing a training dive, maybe the first dive together as a team, it would make sense.

Edit2: I'm basing this on the earlier comment that the boat that delivered the divers to the site is not the sort of operation that would allow stupid stuff off their boat.

The third diver has got to be hurting.

Yes, and that appears to be accurate (so far anyway). This morning one of the stories (that I can't find anymore so I think it was replaced with more accurate info) was reporting the 160-foot diver also went into arrest. They appeared to have mixed up the 250-foot diver who surface, arrested and died, with the 160-foot diver who lived. Point simply being that often these reports don't make any sense because the information is wrong or incomplete.

Reactions: Jax
So it sounds like you are relying on a news report from a source that is probably not a diver to base that comment on? I am surprised the reporter didn't claim the diver ran out of oxygen at 250ft which is usually the case. if the basis of your wild speculation is Nanaimo Daily News then have at 'er.

:huh:

You mean about that the dive is well below safe depth for air (per PPO2), where most are on trimix, and that they didn't have stages and deco bottles?

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 04:51 PM ----------

Multi-Deco says a five minute dive to 250, then back up (five min to descend), has a runtime of 20 minutes.

Gas required is 95 cuft. Sounds like a bounce dive. Sounds like Cozumel's bounce dive.

PPO2 at depth, on air, is 1.76. The narcosis would be darned near overpowering.

So it sounds like you are relying on a news report from a source that is probably not a diver to base that comment on? I am surprised the reporter didn't claim the diver ran out of oxygen at 250ft which is usually the case. if the basis of your wild speculation is Nanaimo Daily News then have at 'er.

Just surmising on what can be. This is the forum for it. Do you know the divers involved?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom