narrow my options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you have done a try-dive or two, you will start to have an idea of what is important to you. A year or two from now, what's important to you may have changed and another unit may be a better fit. *Expect this going in for best results!* There is no one perfect rebreather - there are options and advantages and disadvantages. The SF2 sure comes pretty close to perfect for me, though!

yes this is sage advice- as i wrote maybe Im expecting too much for a ccr to do all things for me without having too change or upgrade -hence another reason I am leaning to SF ccr as i can in fact get the conversion kit to do the deep/penetration dives and in doing so future proof myself somewhat depending on which path I want to go down

Deep caves can be hit or miss, but especially for open water dives at significant depths (eg 100m), a sidemount CCR is awful - there is no place to put the bailout. For a dive like that, you're looking at least 3 and probably 4 BO cylinders (plus suit gas). A backmounted CCR is way more versatile and there are actually enough places to stash those BOs, although once you get past 2x al80s its not as easy as it sounds.

yes this is also my concern with a straight SM ccr - i tried to do my Advtmx on sidemount and it was a such a handful -ended up switching to back mount to complete it -so thanks sort of confirmed my thoughts on that

I agree with liv2dive
I own 2 sf2 units.... I have owned an Optima and three megs and a 3p The SF2 is an incredibly easy unit to build to dive to travel with and it converts quickly to side mount. I can say I have been very pleased with the unit and at this point would not consider changing for anything.

IMHO too fast and too aggressive. Learn to cave and wreck dive on your current gear and then advance to CCR.

@lermontov , is there a reason why you don't just go with Pete Mesley for CCR and Advanced Wreck Training up there in Auckland from you in Christchurch? He also runs some great wreck expedition charters -I've been on two to Chuuk and Bikini Atoll. . .

Diving Courses & Training | Pete Mesley's Dive Excursions
Hi kev

well my leaning is towards an sf2 and the only one person in NZ who is agent fro sf2 and he is only just started so the next option is in australia with guy name rubens monaco who qualified to teach on about 5-6 ccrs so im hoping ill get some good insights/direction from him, im hoping to try a few other before i decide- yes i spoke to peter recently and inquired re a chuuk trip but have my own stuff planned- ive seen his pics from his trips and theyre pretty inspiring - maybe one day
-ps -i did my advanced wreck course a couple of years ago

I own two SF2's and am an SF2 instructor. I'm converting one of them to SM so that I can wiggle through some small stuff in a cave near my house. Backmount is the way to go for your first rebreather.

Backmount is the way to go for your first rebreather.

I"m starting to realize that the more I learn and research. I've been sidemounting so long I've been concerned about the transition back to bm. But then I realize a sm unit limits your BO options and really started heavily considering starting bm. That and I keep going back and forth between 2 units. It's a lot more detailed of a decision than I ever expected.

I"m starting to realize that the more I learn and research. I've been sidemounting so long I've been concerned about the transition back to bm. But then I realize a sm unit limits your BO options and really started heavily considering starting bm. That and I keep going back and forth between 2 units. It's a lot more detailed of a decision than I ever expected.

LOL! I know that feeling. The good thing is both units you're looking at are fantastic, and you can't go wrong either way.

Have you gotten in the water with your options? Set them up/broken them them down? It may (or may not) help your decision process some. If I recall the units you are looking at correctly, you will be happy with either decision.

OTOH, I spent a lot of time weighing pro's/con's of three units before I bought my first one, and today, I wouldn't consider buying one of those three units. :). But you are looking at units that people with a lot of *real* experience have chosen (not just people who talk a lot on the internet).

Back
Top Bottom