narrowoly tailored restaurant question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I've read the two stickies regarding favorite restaurants. They are very helpful but I have a very narrowly defined question. (I don't know how I would do a search to find an answer to my question.)

My friends and I will be in Coz for the first time and we are renting a condo on the corner of Avenida 10 Sur and Calle 17 Sur (Caballito Rojo at Cozumel Vacation Rentals). It's about four blocks inland from Plaza Las Glorias. We'll be diving with Diving with Martin and they will pick us up from PLG's dock.

I will be speaking to DWM and our condo manager for suggestions but I thought I could get some info from you guys. Here's the question....

1) Can you give me a recommendation as to a breakfast restaurant between my condo and PLG or even close walking distance from the condo or PLG? (We need it to be open early in the morning since DWM seems to pick up real early, like pre-7:30. We won't have a car and will be walking from the condo to PLG in the morning. Christi's list is great cuz it gives street locations but it seems that the restaurants are not near our condo or PLGs.)

2) or Does PLG have a good breakfast restaurant open that early?

3) or Does the grocery store in front of PLG sell breakfast (ie: like in a food court)?

Thanks everyone. :D

PS: We love authentic, "local favorites" style, mom and pop style restaurants that are cheap in price and away from the touristy scene, if that helps.

There may be a big problem in your plan. The PLG is now the Cozumel Palace Resort. An all inclusive. I've heard, but someone can confirm, that if you are not staying there you will not be allowed on the property and thus the dock. Not sure if Aqua Safari the in house dive op has another access point to the dock that will allow you to use it.

As far as breakfast- Jeannies Waffle House was relocated to the Acuario property a few years back and is just north of there. Not sure what time they start serving. The Chadraui store does have a good assortment of pastries ect that could serve as light breakfast if needed.

Christi or other locals hopefully will chime in on the dock access issue.

Good Luck

Rich

oh shoot! I just did a Plaza Las Glorias search and you are right. It is now Cozumel Palace and it seems that non-guests are not allowed in or to use the dock (at least, that was the info in May this year).

I'm gonna have to contact DWM then. On their website, they list PLG as the fruthest north they will pick up. Dang! I even told DWM that we were staying in a condo close to PLG for a pick up and they didn't mention anything to me. Maybe there is some other public dock close by Coz Palace - I'll have to find out from DWM.

rypark1999:
oh shoot! I just did a Plaza Las Glorias search and you are right. It is now Cozumel Palace and it seems that non-guests are not allowed in or to use the dock (at least, that was the info in May this year).

I'm gonna have to contact DWM then. On their website, they list PLG as the fruthest north they will pick up. Dang! I even told DWM that we were staying in a condo close to PLG for a pick up and they didn't mention anything to me. Maybe there is some other public dock close by Coz Palace - I'll have to find out from DWM.

You may have to cab it to a pickup spot in the mornings. That's no biggie - cabs are cheap and there are piers everywhere.

I just emailed DWM and waiting for a response. Thanks for the heads up.

oops sorry. and thanks for the Waffle House recommendation.

You might try rock 'n java, and I think there's a pier right near by behind a small hotel that should be accessible. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place or even if this is too far north for you. It's a few blocks south of punta langostina, if I remember, maybe a block or so north of Chedraui. One thing I know for sure is that rock 'n java has good coffee and is usually open by 7:00.

sddiver and ggunn are absolutely correct. If you are not a hotel guest, you will not get 10 feet inside the front door. I cannot even go in to see my customers who ARE guests off at the dock. I am surprised that you were told in May that it was ok. That pier has been inaccessible since August of last year when PLG closed. Cozumel Plaace didn't even open until June of this year and it was made clear well before they opened that only hotel guests would have pier access.

Breakfast spots I would recommend close to you are Rock-n-Java and Jeanie's Waffle House. Another great breakfast spot is the restaurant at Caribe Blu, which may be an option for you to catch the boat there if you are patronizing the restaurant and spending money there.

Christi:
I am surprised that you were told in May that it was ok. That pier has been inaccessible since August of last year when PLG closed. Cozumel Plaace didn't even open until June of this year and it was made clear well before they opened that only hotel guests would have pier access.

Just to clarify: :D After sddiver stated that non-guests could not access Coz Palace's pier, I did a search on Scubaboard Cozumel re: PLG and saw that someone (I believe it was your thread Christi) had written that Coz Palace's pier was inaccessible to non-guests. This thread was written in May 2005. No one said anything to me in May. :D

I made my reservations with DWM in Aug 2005 after reading on his website that they picked up from PLG's dock. (and it's still listed like that on his website). :06:

Anyway, I just received word from DWM and they stated that if we can't get onto Coz Palace's dock (which seems to be the case now - their response made it seem like they didn't know if they could access CP's dock), DWM will pick us up from our condo with their own truck. So everything is A.O.K. whew!!! :yelclap:

Its gonna be our first time in Coz and I'm hoping everything goes off without a hitch (flight-in, weather, condo, diving, no food-born ailments, flight-out). :51:

Thanks for the breakfast house recommendations. We will definitely try those places.

rypark1999:
Anyway, I just received word from DWM and they stated that if we can't get onto Coz Palace's dock (which seems to be the case now - their response made it seem like they didn't know if they could access CP's dock), DWM will pick us up from our condo with their own truck. So everything is A.O.K. whew!!!

You are going to Cozumel, so everything would be A.O.K. in any case. Kidding aside, it's a really small island and everyone in the dive biz knows each other. Things always work out.

When you get off the plane, first thing, take a deep breath and relaaaaxxxxxx. You're on Island Time and everything's gonna be just fine...

...until you have to leave, that is. But never fear, you'll be back.

ggunn:
You are going to Cozumel, so everything would be A.O.K. in any case. Kidding aside, it's a really small island and everyone in the dive biz knows each other. Things always work out.

When you get off the plane, first thing, take a deep breath and relaaaaxxxxxx. You're on Island Time and everything's gonna be just fine...

...until you have to leave, that is. But never fear, you'll be back.
I agree- there is always a way out, unless El Norte comes in and the harbormaster shuts everything down ( never happened to me, thank god, but others have been afflicted...). In that case, I guess you just hang out and wait for better weather. Too bad that Cozumel is such a boring place to hang out in :D .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom