Narrowsberg bridge, Delaware river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMHSCUBA

Reaction score
Has anyone out there reading this ever dove in the plunge pool in the Delaware near the Narrowsberg bridge. I'm looking for info on current, what's there to be seen, water temps and vis. Any info on entanglements would be nice as well. I'm also looking for some dive sites in north eastern Pennsylvania. Any info will be appreciated.

One month late, but I will answer you anyway.

I have dove there on 2 seperate ocassions with a buddy of mine. Both times were 3 years ago (summer 2001). As far as current: When you first enter the water upstream there is a slight current, probably to much to swim against once you are in, but that is becsause it is relatively shallow. As soon as the depth reachs about 20 feet (under the bridge) the current ceases to be an issue. You will need 2 vehicles to dive, one upstream where you will enter, and one down stream to get you back. I guess you could make the walk back on the road, but it is a long hike after completing a dive when you are tired.

Water Temps are not to bad, I don't remember exactly, but it can be done with a 7ml wetsuit. Both my body and I dive dry but it was not extremely cold, although if was mid July.

Vis is terrible after about 20 ft depth. If you venture down deep into the hole 80+ feet you will only have about 1ft vis. Be carful at that depth as there is a great deal of tree branches and debree (garbage ie. old car tires, old barbed wire) as entanglement hazards. Not much to see because of the vis. If you stick close to the wall, you can see some fish and lots of eals in small cracks and hols in the rock. I did see a HUGE catfish once. He was easily 3 - 4 feet in length. It scared the daylights out of me because my mask was about 6 inches from its face before I relized what I was looking at. It just sat there and looked at me.

Hope that helps

Sorry the spelling and grammer are atrocious. But that last post was written in a hurry.

PS- You need a dive flag to dive the river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom