NAS Course - Love those wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all:

I just took part in the Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS 1) course with the S.O.S. (Ottawa Chapter) in conjunction with PARKS CANADA. I must say, it was excellent. It puts a whole new perspective on viewing our wrecks.

You learn a great deal about ship building techniques from the 1600's to the 1900's . More importantly, you get an introduction on how to map the wreck site.

If you ever get a chance to take a NAS course, you may really enjoy it. I tip my cap to S.O.S. and PARKS CANADA for a great job.

It was also great to meet other divers from around Ontario. What a wealth of diving knowledge and experience in that group.

Safe diving everyone.

DI_Guy (Al)

Second that, a well run course with participants from Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto and Pembroke. Kudos to the Marc-Andre and Ryan from Parks Canada, Marg Barker from SOS Ottawa, and Brian Prince from SOS Corporate for putting together a fun and informative weekend. Everyone had a great time and learned a ton. You can't beat learning this stuff from the pro's who are out there doing the real surveys and the classroom is in the middle of Canada's national labratory.

I am not sure if there is a big difference between NAS 1 and AAUS scentific diving course in U.S.

PADI also issues the scentific diving course through the certain universities, not from the commercial instructors and shops.

Please let me know if there is any more information about NAS 1.

Thanks.

hoosier:
Please let me know if there is any more information about NAS 1.

Thanks.

Looking over the AAUS website, I think NAS1 is a different beast.
AAUS appears to be a exemption to commercial diving regulations when the dives are conducted for scientific purposes and could cover assembly and placement of equipment or recovery.
NAS1 is a basic course on surveying a wreck (or other underwater archaeological site). How to set up, measure and map.
NAS http://www.nasportsmouth.org.uk/ is an NGO, but their certification is recognized by many governements, including ours and holders of NAS1 or higher may particiapte on surveys of newly discovered wrecks. AFAIK, neither AAUS nor PADI course will allow the same.

Great PiCS Kevin... Thanks for posting them...

( only wish I had more hair ) ;-)

Safe Diving ....

DI_Guy ( Al )

How does this compare to the national Geographic course now offered by PADI.

Rollie

Kevin Ripley:
Second that, a well run course with participants from Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto and Pembroke. Kudos to the Marc-Andre and Ryan from Parks Canada, Marg Barker from SOS Ottawa, and Brian Prince from SOS Corporate for putting together a fun and informative weekend. Everyone had a great time and learned a ton. You can't beat learning this stuff from the pro's who are out there doing the real surveys and the classroom is in the middle of Canada's national labratory.

nice pics! glad you guys had fun. Looks pretty informative. I also give a thanks for posting them.

DI_Guy:
Hi all:

I just took part in the Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS 1) course with the S.O.S. (Ottawa Chapter) in conjunction with PARKS CANADA. I must say, it was excellent. It puts a whole new perspective on viewing our wrecks.

You learn a great deal about ship building techniques from the 1600's to the 1900's . More importantly, you get an introduction on how to map the wreck site.

If you ever get a chance to take a NAS course, you may really enjoy it. I tip my cap to S.O.S. and PARKS CANADA for a great job.

It was also great to meet other divers from around Ontario. What a wealth of diving knowledge and experience in that group.

Safe diving everyone.

DI_Guy (Al)
I agree. I really was amazed at how much stuff these guys know. Sometimes our questions branched out beyond what I thought was an archaeologist's scope but they didn't hesitate with their answers. I guess to fully understand what they're studying, they need to know something about everything.

This is such a great program. The class was a lot of fun and very informative. Parks Canada and SOS did an excellent job in putting it together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom