NAS courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So tell me about this...

What are the requirements?

Where are the courses?

What is the role and what are the responsibilities of an NAS trained diver?

NAS is the Nautical Archeology Society which is an NGO based out of Portsmouth England. They are focused on Maritime Heritage and Archeology

They can be found here : http://www.nasportsmouth.org.uk/

In Canada (and in many othere countries) they are the de facto training standard for underwater archeology training.

The first course NAS 1 has no prerequisits other than OW diver. It covers basic archeological principles and how to survey an underwater site without any intrusive efforts. Having this course would allow a diver to assist in the archeological survey of a site.

Taking this course also allows the diver to hum the theme to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark while diving.... :D

Further courses increase the knowledge and ability of the NAS Diver up to the last course NAS 4 which would certify them to be able to act as the site supervisor under a director.

I'm looking to get some individuals here trained in at least NAS1. We have discovered a wreck which appears to be a schooner (real hard to tell) and we want to identify it. We are 80% sure we know which wreck it is but we have to do some more in water investigating. We have got no help from the Gov't partially because they have no money or interest in helping local divers, partially if we were to go get a permit under our existing regulations it is a hassle and a major pain in the but and thirdly because due to past relations between divers and the gov't/museum we haven't asked. We were going to take it upon ourselves to get trained because we want to do this right. This schooner (if it is what I think it is) is not an old wreck (1940's) but it is a very historically significant wreck and after we discovered and proved it's identity than we would hand the info over to the proper authorities to deem it as a Heritage Wreck under Nova Scotia's Special Places Act.
JK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom