Nasa nbl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two years ago (don't know how "new" that is) I talked to two divers who worked at the NBL as astronaut trainers and sheppards. I commented that I'd give my eyeteeth to dive that facility. His reply was that all I needed was a level 1A security clearance (top secret), about a thousand hours of "government diving" (whatever that is), and the equivalent of NOAA Science Diver certification.

In short...I have a better chance of visiting the Titanic than I do of diving the NBL.

The equipment that treats that pool is the equipment I sell at the company I work for. Troy's (company owner/pres.) been dropping hints for years. He still hasn't gotten in. :idk: maybe you could keep trying...?

Two years ago (don't know how "new" that is) I talked to two divers who worked at the NBL as astronaut trainers and sheppards. I commented that I'd give my eyeteeth to dive that facility. His reply was that all I needed was a level 1A security clearance (top secret), about a thousand hours of "government diving" (whatever that is), and the equivalent of NOAA Science Diver certification.

In short...I have a better chance of visiting the Titanic than I do of diving the NBL.

That sounds about right. My father-in-law was a safety diver for NASA in the late 70's. He's now retired from SWRI and yes, had/ has top secret security clearance.

I was a diver/astronaut trainer there until last year. Hate to be perfectly blunt, but ain't gonna happen. At the very least, unless you have one hell of a giant reason for being in there, you have to be a NASA employee directly connected with mission development or astronaut training. We only pump 46% Nitrox; therefore, you would have to go through NBL's training, which I will leave at being "extensive." Odds are not in your favor of even making down to top-side on the deck. Most will do the scheduled tour like at the rest of NASA which consists of gazing longingly from high above in a glassed-in hallway. Hate to be a party pooper, but for obvious reasons security is a might tight around there.
I would suggest a road trip to Europe to dive MEMO 33 -- world's deepestt dive tank.
Cours plongée débutant club école PADI SSI Bruxelles NEMO33 World's deepest diving scuba pool Duiken Brussels - Plongée, plonger, duiken en diving....
Definately on my to-do list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom