Nasal cavity surgeries and the effects on divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im about to have jaw surgery or even surgeries if it takes more than one. Part of which is a nasal cavity lift or relocation.

The healing time is a month to a year. Doctor does think it will not affect my diving after healing. But that’s an unknown until it’s over. Could damage be done to my nasal cavity here that would affect my diving.

Another Question my oral surgeon cannot answer is how long to expect for down time as far as being able to dive. Anyone know what I might expect. If it helps the area is in the rear upper jaw for bone graft an implant. Long story here but my jawbone is degraded enough that it may not even work. Ive lived with it for many years and could just back out and continue life without this procedure.

I don't do these kinds of operations, but one issue that I would ask about would be the possibility of a problem equalizing your sinuses on descent and ascent. Not sure exactly what you are having done, but if it is a LeFort osteotomy that involves making bone cuts through the maxillary sinuses. There is some evidence that this can cause sinus disease, so ventilation might be an issue. Hopefully, you will be able to equalize after surgery. You might also need a secondary procedure on the sinuses. Maybe ask your doc about that.

Bone graft, sinus lift and implant is fairly simple stuff these days. Google the terms to get more comfortable.

You do need to make sure you have a few weeks to heal a bit after each procedure before you go diving.

Bone graft, sinus lift and implant is fairly simple stuff these days. Google the terms to get more comfortable.

You do need to make sure you have a few weeks to heal a bit after each procedure before you go diving.
P.s. I am not a tooth doctor, just a patient that successfully completed the long drawn out process recently.

There are not a lot of DAN ENT's out there. Hopefully one is close to you. Duke is always an option. I talked briefly on the phone to someone there after sinus surgery and found it very helpful, but "medical advice" will almost always require the physician examine you in person. Get a digital copy of any imaging performed before and after surgery and the surgical report and any lab or pathology reports generated if you plan to see anyone. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom